Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have forgotten my administer account password

I have a computer which my sisters use and there are two accounts. There is only one administer account and they have forgotten their password. I want to reset the computer to factory settings but I am unable to do so without that password. What can I do?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 17, 2015 10:23 PM

3 replies

Oct 19, 2015 2:56 AM in response to private penguin

You could try this:

1. Power on or restart your Mac.

2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.

3. This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.

4. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.

5. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plistand press Enter.

6. Type ls /Users and press Enter. This lists all of the usernames on the computer – helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.

7. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password of your choice. Press Enter.

8. Type reboot and press Enter.

I have forgotten my administer account password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.