Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it a bad dock connector?

Again I'm back to the iPhone 3GS. I'm a hobbyist with tech, and I REALLY want to get this phone working. Just gonna jump right in. The phone almost never will charge, if I try to restore it 90% of the time it fails, and often it's completely dead except when I plug it in and press my ear to the phone there is a repetitive discharge-like tick sound and sometimes some weird long or short beeeep or beaaeaeap sounds. Hmm... I have successfully restored it several times, so it isn't software/firmware. Now... Dock connector or logic board? or bad connection?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.3, messed up, missing bottom screws

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 6:45 AM

As Apple doesn't consider iPhones to have any user-serviciable parts, this really isn't the best forum for your sort of question. As I understand it, iFixit.com has forums. That might be a better venue.

7 replies

Oct 20, 2015 12:59 PM in response to I_like_Vintage_PCs

I_like_Vintage_PCs wrote:

Sorry. I didn't realize that was you. However, you seems to be right. This is a bit in depth, and I may or may not have done something that would've voided it's warranty, anyway (if it wasn't 5 years out of date.) I will try iFixit. Need to order a logic board and dock connector. Thanks again

Apple doesn't sell parts, so any part that you buy was salvaged from another iPhone and its condition will be unknown. Logic boards in particular are a real issue, because the device ID is on the logic board, so there's a good chance that a replacement logic board will be activation locked, and thus unusable. There is no way to bypass activation lock on the device, as the lock status is stored on Apple's activation servers, not in the phone.

Is it a bad dock connector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.