Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Barcode Scanner not working on OS X El Capital

Hello, I have been using a barcode scanner via USB on my iMac and Macbook without a problem on OS X Mavericks and Yosemite, but with the update to El Capitan (10.11) it is not working anymore. Before the update I connected the barcode scanner and the OS would recognise it as an external keyboard, and I could start scanning the barcodes, everything was well. Now when I connect the barcode scanner nothing seems to happen, but as soon as I scan a code, no output will be show on screen and the scanner just freezes, It just wont try to scan again. I have to disconnect it and connect it again for it to start emitting the scanning light.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Greetings!

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 10:18 PM

Contact the bar code scanner vendor and ask them if it will work with El Capitan.

4 replies

Nov 5, 2015 1:20 PM in response to carlosfromsantiago de queretaro

There are several users that have the same problem (me too). Barcode scanners that haven't had any problem till Yosemite, with El Capitan now don't arrive to run properly. On Apple developer forum some ppl suggests that "it looks like Apple rewrote the USB stack/APIs in 10.11", but I have had the problem also with bluetooth and Wi-Fi scanner connection. These scanners are working as keyboards and another user tells about a problem with not Apple keyboard too (but I use a Logitech keyboard with a MacBook Pro and everything is OK).

I hope that this will be solved soon... I hope.

Barcode Scanner not working on OS X El Capital

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.