Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iSight external camera work with El Capitan? Upgraded this week and have no audio with FaceTime.

I hae a MacPro (early 2008) with external iSight camera.

Upgraded to El Capitan and now I have video but no audio on FaceTime.

Does El Capitan support the old iSight camera?

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 9:08 AM

7 replies

Oct 18, 2015 6:37 PM in response to MetalmanWDH

I also just discovered that my MacPro (Early 2008) is detecting the audio of my iSight camera either. You will see in your Sound Preference that is doesn't even see the iSight as a input device, which OS should see it as one.

User uploaded file

This is a big bummer for me as the iSight had allowed me to use the FaceTime and Dictation features in previous OS versions.

Oct 19, 2015 10:09 AM in response to MetalmanWDH

MetalmanWDH wrote:... have video but no audio on FaceTime. Does El Capitan support the old iSight camera?

Yes. I turned on old iSight (open shutter), connected to Firewire, then lanuched FT and configured camera and mic settings.

User uploaded file

In addition to FaceTime, I also tried the old iSight with my El Cap Mac using both QuickTime video recording and iMovie. All work fine.

If you still have problems, check to be sure your old Firewire iSight still works.

If your trouble persists, you might want to use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall your Mac OS.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11

Apr 30, 2016 12:18 AM in response to JamesSpot

Hello

I recently picked up mint iSight camera. No issues. No Problems. Runs great on my 2012 mac mini. I already had a FW 400 to 800 adapter (RocketFish) so that came in handy, since my 2012 has only a FW800 port. http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-Mac-FireWire-Cable-adapter/dp/B005JL2PXA

I plugged the FW400 adapter end directly into the iSight and ran FW800 cable from the bottom end of the adapter the mini's 800 port.

FYI .....Actually the 800 cable snaked in through the iSight laptop monitor adapter pretty nicely (where the original apple FW 400 cable was originally), and then I plugged the 800 cable into the bottom of the RocketFish, and then plunged in the 400 end of the RocketFish, directly into the iSight. If that makes sense.

I can confirm that the iSight works under El Capitan, and as a precious poster said......"works in FaceTime, iMovie, and Quicktime".

My one suggestion with audio, in El Capitan, be sure to go to System Preferences>Sound>the Input Tab, choose iSight (it should be listed there). There is actually a display setting that shows you in real time the volume level of your input from the camera.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Does the iSight external camera work with El Capitan? Upgraded this week and have no audio with FaceTime.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.