Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera damaged due to accident, good replacement?

The iSight camera on the Mac has been damaged by accident. Can I use the iSight camera of another iMac via networking that can only update to 10.7 in some manner in 10.10 or 10.7? Is there an inexpensive camera comparable to the iSight on the mid-2010 iMac that plugs in via USB or Firewire?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), * I may get paid from macmaps links

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 6:43 PM

a brody wrote:

Is there an inexpensive camera comparable to the iSight on the mid-2010 iMac that plugs in via USB or Firewire?

Apple Compatible Mac Webcams

User uploaded file

12 replies

Oct 19, 2015 11:31 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote: ... Can I use the iSight camera of another iMac via networking that can only update to 10.7 in some manner in 10.10 or 10.7? ...

Not in any general way. While you could use Old Mac's iSight via iChat ➔ Messages for one way video to New Mac inside your LAN via Bonjour, I know of no way to use Old Mac's camera as New Mac video recording source for QuickTime, Photo Booth, iMovie, etc., software on New Mac.

Because you are an experienced Mac user, you might be able to use Apple Remote Desktop to control Old Mac's camera from New Mac, but you would need to be using Old Mac's software to control its iSight.

Unless you have the time and interest in developing such workarounds, I think Boomer's Mac-Compatible external webcam alternative is a much better option.

Regards,

EZ Jim

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11

Camera damaged due to accident, good replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.