Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MP630 doesn't work after upgrading to El Capitan. Canon not providing driver for El Capitan. Help?

I have just upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan. I cant print on my Canon MP630, The document goes into the print queue and sits there with the word "printing" showing, but nothing happens. Scanner works in MP Navigator, but preview window is greyed out. Canon Website says no upgrade will be made available for El Capitan. Help?!?

Canon MP630 scanned and printed in Yosemite, . It didn't show up in Image Capture in Yosemite and still doesn't.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 2:16 PM

You might try open source drivers, or wait for Canon to update their link on Apple's website. Only Brother has officially compatible El Capitan drivers*:

http://www.macmaps.com/printersx.html

Often they update the same link on Apple's website when they have new drivers, with a new update date.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2015 2:16 PM in response to helenfromkirriemuir

You might try open source drivers, or wait for Canon to update their link on Apple's website. Only Brother has officially compatible El Capitan drivers*:

http://www.macmaps.com/printersx.html

Often they update the same link on Apple's website when they have new drivers, with a new update date.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Oct 20, 2015 10:45 PM in response to helenfromkirriemuir

Have you tried using the MP630 v10.84 driver for OS X 10.9? I found I could install the driver on OS X 10.11 but without an MP630 I cannot test if printing works.

Here is also a link to the ICA driver for the MP630. The ICA driver is used by Image Capture.

Re MP Navigator > Preview window not working correctly, try enabling the Use Scanner Driver setting as shown below.

User uploaded file

Oct 27, 2015 6:19 AM in response to PAHU

Hey Pahu I downloaded the 10.84 as you suggested, and my pixma MP630 printer started working again but the scanner still does not?

"Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again."

Is the message each time I press 'scan'

I am wondering if I should go back to a previous OS like Mavericks (had 10.7.5 before) ?

Your scan/import screenshot is not the window i have - there is no option to use the scanner driver.

Oct 27, 2015 1:33 PM in response to palettesplatter

As the message suggests, MP Navigator is looking for the MP630 via a USB connection. So if the MP630 is networked and not connected via USB then you will get this message. In the Preferences of MP Navigator you can choose how the MP630 is connected. You want to select the MP630 that has network in its name. If you don't have the networked MP630 listed in the MP Navigator preferences then you need to add the MP630 via Canon's Network Scanner Selector utility. This should be located in the Canon Utilities folder under Applications. When you open it you should see the MP630 with is network address, similar to that shown for a different model (and an older OS).

User uploaded file

Nov 1, 2015 3:45 AM in response to palettesplatter

If you mean that when you connect the iPod to the El Capitan Mac, Photos is not opening then try opening the application Image Capture to see if this will connect to the iPod to show the photos. If this does work, then in the bottom left corner of Image Capture with the iPod connected will be a section where you can select what happens when you connect the iPod. Here you should be able to select Photos. With this selected, quit Image Capture and disconnect then reconnect the iPod USB cable to see if Photos opens.

Nov 8, 2015 3:51 AM in response to PAHU

Hmm sorry Pahu me again - I tried downloading photos again from my iPod but it started downloading lots from previous times (as photos doesn't seem to have the option of deleting all after you have downloaded) anyway because I cancelled it now will not download any even though they are still on my iPod - i have tried pulling the usb out and then back in...restarting the computer, attaching my canon and then going back to my iPod but the photos are just not appearing..when i do attach the only thing that changes is that the 'import' button appears but when i press it nothing downloads. hmmm

Canon MP630 doesn't work after upgrading to El Capitan. Canon not providing driver for El Capitan. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.