Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

large Pages documents don't open after El Capitan

since Pages upgraded to 5.6 on El Capitan, large documents don't open and crash.

they do open on Yosemite with Pages 5.5.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 12:24 AM

13 replies

Oct 19, 2015 4:33 AM in response to giorgio53

Suggest you use the Provide Pages Feedback menu item on the Pages application menu. This goes to the Pages product team. Share with them the same information that you shared here. No assurance that they will repond, but they might.

Don't have a solution for you for Pages v5.6 on El Capitan to resolve this large document open failure. Your machine should have plenty of RAM. No anti-virus, anti-malware running correct?

Oct 26, 2015 9:06 PM in response to giorgio53

I have the same problem. I have a document of 11 MB (only text). Basically I can only open it and the moment I write a letter it stops functioning... and I have to force to quit the application. I'm worried because I don't see any solution and apple released the 5.6 version a lot ago.

Anyone knows if it is possible to downgrade to 5.3 version? I never had any problems with Pages. Sad !

Nov 3, 2015 10:16 AM in response to GaetanL

there's one solution only.

Pages 5.6 and El Capitan do not match.

I erased Pages 5.6 from my Book Pro with El Capitan, transferred a copy of Pages 5.5.3 from one of my Macs.

all the files were ok BUT: all files created with 5.6 were not readable with 5.5.3.

I had to copy them (from Cloud) and paste on new Pages files.

now everything works.

I won't update Pages on any of my device until Apple will fix the problem.

Nov 3, 2015 1:09 PM in response to giorgio53

@rogeleo,

@GaetanL,

Since you are not running Pages on Giorgio53's Mac, you may not have the same exact cause, and only have a general symptom — can't open a large document. There is nothing that can be done in this community if it is a bug, or limiting factor in Pages v5.6. We are not Apple, and specifically, we are not Pages product development.

Before I upgraded Pages v5.5.3 to v5.6 on Yosemite, I made a copy of it, and then renamed the copy to Pages (5.5.3). I will likely rename it again as it shows up on the open with menu as Pages (5.5.3)(5.5.3). Older versions of Pages are no longer available from Apple. I have no idea if you can restore v5.5.3 from a backup onto El Capitan, and it will work.

large Pages documents don't open after El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.