Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible "Software" issue on startup with flashing folder

Hello. I own a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13.3". Recently, I upgraded my RAM to 8 GB and upgraded to a hybrid HD/SSD 1 TB harddrive. A few months went by without issues. Every so often when starting my Mac, a flashing folder would pop up. Now, a year after the replacement, I have to start up my computer multiple times because it keeps popping up the flashing folder. About the 3rd or 4th startup, it will start up like normal and be fine, except it cannot go to sleep or it will freeze on the login screen. After talking to several other people, and even an Apple Advisor in the store, they said replacing the hard drive cable should fix my problem. Replaced it a few weeks ago and my Mac is running much faster, but still pops up the flashing folder during startup. I've read that this is a software issue. What can I do to fix this?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Other OS, OS X 10.11 Beta

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 9:59 AM

14 replies

Oct 21, 2015 3:24 PM in response to tland93

Hello. Sorry to hear you're having problems, but i've encountered this issue many times. Your HDD is failing. It's pretty rare to experience a bad HDD cable in a MBP (they are packed in there tight... it's pretty unlikely to move much, if at all). If you haven't already, back up your data. Your next step should be to figure out if your drive is still under warranty and if so, repair/replace it.

You can test this out by purchasing another HDD that is known to be good, install it and your OS. If the computer boots up, then you know. If you're still having the issue, then I'd point to the logic board's HDD controller failing. At that point, you should go to Apple for a depot repair.

The age of the drive doesn't matter too much. It happens from time to time, and is generally pretty random. Good luck.

Oct 21, 2015 5:28 PM in response to Rick46580

Rick46580: I have my original HDD. I was going to place it back in to see if it will work and clairfy if its the new HDD. I've done all the test on this HDD and all have come back as good. Would it be ok to erase the old HDD? I have too many pictures for it. Thats why I updated to a 1TB hybrid HDD/SSD

Csound 1: I replaced the cable not too long ago. I guess i didn't add that to my original post. It made the computer seem faster and connected better but still have the flashing folder problem.

Nov 3, 2015 8:36 AM in response to tland93

I still would rule out the cable unless something really torqued it. It's not out of the realm of possibility, though this issue is very remenicent of two things I've seen commonly in my days as a consultant, and now managing the desktops for a reasonable sized office (+100 macs). Without actually troubleshooting it myself, it really sounds like a bad/failing HDD. I'd try it with a known good HDD. If you don't have backups, then I wouldn't wipe the old drive. Putting it in and using it to boot off of, and getting consistent boots (5/5) should suffice enough to say "yeah, it's the drive," and pack it up for repair.

If you _still_ get inconsistent booting with the former drive, then I would point at the logic board. I've recently had an iMac that had a failing HDD in it. Replaced the drive, and two months later started seeing the same issues. The controller in it is bad and killing HDDs, though over a longer period of time.

All of that said, this comes from the standpoint of having already replaced the cable (which you've done), and if you're strapped for cash, couldn't hurt to try again. The inconsistent nature of your issue, and the fact that it's getting worse though, in my opinion, is that you're suffering hardware failure that is only seeming to get worse.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Nov 3, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Rick46580

Thank you for your help and everyone else's replies. I replaced the HD with the original one and the computer works great again. She is slower because the other was a hybrid HD, but she works flawlessly again. I erased everything off this HD because there was no room and moved all my photos to iCloud to be better for it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Very happy Mac owner again 😀

Nov 3, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Rick46580

Rick46580 wrote:

I still would rule out the cable unless something really torqued it.

I will disagree, a short search of this forum will show that it is in fact relatively common, especially on 2009 through 2011 machines. The cable lives sandwiched between the chassis and the HDD, a device that vibrates at a high frequency, it gets heated and cooled and goes through 3 right angle turns. It also was designed at a time when 70MB/s was a high transfer rate, SSD's can achieve 550MB/s.

Changing it is quick, simple and cheap, it should be standard procedure when changing a drive, especially for a much faster drive.

Replace the cable and this SSD will work in the OP's Mac. I'll place money on that.

Possible "Software" issue on startup with flashing folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.