Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer ability to Share ..with el Capitan

I upgraded my OSX to El Capitan last night. Not only did it drop out all my iCloud accounts in Mail, but now on Safari I have lost the facility under "Share Menu" to be able to share/send links,pages etc to Mail or F-B or other recipients. I have tried the keyboard shortcut using Command key plus "i" to make it happen. It does nothing now.

Any ideas anyone? Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 9:42 AM

See if this document solves the issue for you:

If Share options or Markup is missing after upgrading to OS X Yosemite or El Capitan - Apple Support

30 replies

Oct 20, 2015 1:34 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Dear Luis!

I responded yesterday to your helpful suggestion by following the procedure you recommended to resolve the Share Menu issue. As I wrote, it "fixed" the problem. Then this morning following boot up I discovered that it had dropped out and the status of Share Menu was as before..no Share facility for Mail or the other items. I carried out the procedure again and it appeared to"fix" the problem. I decided to reboot to see if it "stuck" this time..but no! Regrettably, the "Fix" had disappeared again. I have reinstalled the fix once more, but clearly there is something preventing it from staying in place.Obviously it is not convenient to apply a temporary fix after every boot up,so I am wondering if you have any further suggestions.

Thank you,

Ivor

Oct 20, 2015 3:02 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Dear Luis!

I have had a scratch around and researched how to log into a guest account! It had already been set up, but because there is nobody else using the computer, I had the settings set to open automatically to my own name etc. So I changed things to display a guest at log-in.. I have have now been able to establish that under the guest account, the full Share menu appears to be present and correct. (Just as an aside, when checking into the Guest account, there were no desktop short cuts etc.. it was just the absolute basic presentation.. I guess this is as it should be,unless there is a setting to allow a viewing of everything).

From your implication, it seems that my own main account for some reason is preventing the display of the Share account.. but why it should not keep the "repair" in place, I do not understand.. Hope to hear from you soon, as to any further advice..

Ivor

Oct 20, 2015 3:09 AM in response to unkgrumpy

As you realized, this test suggests that the issue is specific to your user account.

As a next step, we can try booting in "Safe Mode". Safe Mode disables all non-essential things, and also clears caches.

To start in Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key immediately after starting, and release after you see the Apple symbol on your screen.

Safe Mode takes a bit longer to start than a normal boot, and your mac will be slower during safe mode. This is ok.

Some things will not work in Safe Mode. That is ok, too.

After you log in to your account in Safe Mode, restart your mac normally.

Then see if sharing is fixed. If not, try the original "fix" and restart to see if it sticks. Let us know.

Oct 20, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well I have tried everything you suggested Luis and the Fix will not stick! It is the first time I have ever tried booting up in Safe mode and as you warned, it takes good bit longer. However, apart from the absence of the screen saver, and some task bar items/icons there doesn't seem to be much to tell you that you are in safe mode! (With a PC, as you will know,you get the clear differences in font and definition size as well as the safe mode texts in the corners).

Anyway.. I just cannot seem to get the fix to stick,despite many efforts. I just wondered whether it might require, or if it is even possible to re-install the upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan. I presume there is no going back. I cannot see a way of doing this anyway, since the tab for upgrades doesn't show that any are available,having already done the upgrade. What next? IP

Oct 20, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Onyx? I have no idea what that is Luis! Where can I find it? And what do I do when I have acquired it? I assume you do not believe it is necessary to try re-loading the upgrade? It is in any case a very long winded process! It took me 1 hour 50 minutes last night to complete the process,which I thought was rather longer than a usual upgrade.. anyway let us stick with your suggestion..OnyX..please be so kind as to point me in the direction.. in AppStore perhaps? However I have had a search and cannot find this Onyx application!

Oct 20, 2015 8:26 AM in response to unkgrumpy

Luis,

I have a similar issue: since upgrading to El Capitan the Share menu in Photos doesn't show mail anymore on my iMac. The problem only arose after the upgrade, before that it worked fine.

I've tried typing the suggested command into Terminal but that only results in a message within terminal saying" no such file or directory".

Any ideas you might have about overcoming this will be much appreciated.

No longer ability to Share ..with el Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.