Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome Issue on Second Monitor

Here are the basics:

I'm on a mid-2014 MacBook Pro Retina, recently updated to El Capitan 10.11 from Yosemite. I use a second monitor (32" Insignia television) connected by using a j5create USB adaptor to a VGA cable. I'm a graphic designer and I run my business through Google docs, so Chrome is my go-to browser.

Here is my problem:

Chrome opens and functions perfectly on my MacBook. After I contacted j5create and downloaded a new driver to be compatible with El Capitan, my dual monitor worked fine as well. However, last Thursday (10/15) I noticed a strange issue when I attempted to drag a Chrome window onto my second monitor. The colors and shapes were all skewed (see image):User uploaded file

I tried opening a new window, closing and re-opening Chrome and restarting my machine, all to no avail. All other programs work perfectly on the dual monitor. By "all other programs" I mean the others that I use somewhat frequently: Safari, Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel and Word. This problem is extra bizarre to me because the dual monitor displayed Chrome perfectly for the first week or two that I used El Capitan. Please help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 11:55 AM

I believe the issue is due to hardware acceleration in Google Chrome.

Disable hardware acceleration for Google Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click the icon with the three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window.
3. Click the Settings option near the bottom of the menu.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Show advanced settings...
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page again, then remove the check mark next to "Use hardware acceleration when available".
6. Close Google Chrome.
7. Restart your computer to activate the changed settings.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2015 11:55 AM in response to sb1online

I believe the issue is due to hardware acceleration in Google Chrome.

Disable hardware acceleration for Google Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click the icon with the three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window.
3. Click the Settings option near the bottom of the menu.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Show advanced settings...
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page again, then remove the check mark next to "Use hardware acceleration when available".
6. Close Google Chrome.
7. Restart your computer to activate the changed settings.

Chrome Issue on Second Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.