Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with iTunes and El Capitan

I upgraded to El Capitan and I'm having a lot of issues with iTunes as a result.

Firstly it completely killed my iTunes library. I have created a new one and am importing the previous one. That seems to be working although I've lost all my playlists. So now my problems are:

1. As I've lost my playlists I'm having to recreate them. I have a lot of audio books. I'm creating a playlist for each book (or course) but I can't sort it by multiple criteria. I'd like to sort by (A) Disk Number then (B) Track Number. I can't even display either of those fields in the playlist. I tried to sort it in the Audiobook list but that didn't work as all my audiobooks have a Disk 1 and Track 1 (for instance). I've spent over an hour googling but can't find out how to do it.

2. The majority of my video's are being loaded as type "Home Video", which used to be the default. But there's no way to see what's in Home Video's in this version. There isn't an option - there's Movies; TV Shows; Music; Audio Books etc but no Home Video's. How can I see what's in there ?

Thank you

Terri

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 2:18 PM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2015 4:21 AM in response to terrip.t1

I found some things:

1. When the audio books don't automatically go into the playlist in the right order I have to manually go through and number them. For some it remembered the order from my old library, but for others it lost it.

2. I found how to find Home Videos - Go to Films then it's one of the tabs at the top of the screen in the middle. It would have been easier if it was it's own section but Apple like keeping me on my toes.

I hope this helps someone else.

Apr 28, 2016 1:07 PM in response to terrip.t1

I know this is an old thread but it was the first in the list when I searched for missing playlists after upgrading to El Capitan.

I had the same problem - both my music library and my playlists were missing and like the OP I thought my only course of action would be to manually rebuild them.

However, after a bit of digging I found a much simpler fix that worked for me.

The answer was to open Finder then navigate down through "Users" to the "Music" folder and then select the folder called "iTunes".

In there was a file called "iTunes Library.itl ",which was essentially the new and empty iTunes library, but beneath it was another folder called "Previous iTunes Libraries".

In there were more "itl" files with various dates such as "iTunes Library 2016-04-28.itl".

So,after making sure iTunes was closed, I copied the latest one to the "iTunes" folder, renamed "iTunes Library.itl" to "STOP iTunes Library.itl" (you could rename it to anything or even move it to the trash if you wanted) then renamed "iTunes Library 2016-04-28.itl" to "iTunes Library.itl".

Then when I opened iTunes all my music, movies, playlists and everything were back exactly as they were before the upgrade.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Issues with iTunes and El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.