Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is my computer to hot

i have been trying to figure out what the average temp of my macbook should be under a light and heavy load and where the danger point is

macbook 13 inch mid 2010

processor 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo

memort 4 GB 1067 MHz DDr3

graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320m 256 MB

os 10.10.3

curent temps while under a heavy load, i had a few tabs in safari open and a game

macbook over all 99 F

cpu 175 F

HD bay 110 F

heatsink B 138 F

northbridge 149 F

temps less than 10 seconds after closing the game

the game is EVE online i know it might push my computer to the limit

macbook over all 101 F

cpu 153 F

HD bay 110 F

heatsink B 137 F

northbridge 131 F

i have played this game on this computer for 2.5 years and i have never had a problem it has always ran rather hot even with the game off i was just wondering if these temps are normal for a computer under a heavy load

i swapped mother boards with my farther after he dropped a screw on his while changing out his disk drive and it caused his battery to quick working my computer never left home so it was okay with me to have one that would only work while plunged in this was about 1.5 - 2 years ago

I’m not really sure if i was having this heat problem before that but it is when i started to notice the fan almost always ran at full speed even if i only had one tab open in safari and i talked to a friend that works in a apple store across the ocean when my temps where a tiny bit lower and he said its about normal but if they get a bit higher i should start to worry

i also have the laptop propped up about 2 inches in the back with an extremely weak laptop fan under the top left side where the hard drive is and where i notice almost all of the heat coming from but the fan doesn’t seem to make any different from when i just had it sitting on blocks, but it does have air flow

macbook over all 94 F

cpu 122 F

HD bay 92 F

heatsink B 108 F

northbridge 106 F

temps of my computer with no load

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 5:40 PM

2 replies

Oct 19, 2015 9:19 PM in response to wd_randomnumbers__

Those temperatures are not abnormal, considering gaming activity is a demanding process. There is no justification to suspect a heatsink is not adequately conducting heat.

As a Mac's internal temperatures approach specified limitations, it will use a number of methods to keep itself from overheating including increasing fan speed and reducing CPU load. If those actions fail to keep temperatures within design limits, the Mac will simply shut down on its own. You cannot hurt a Mac by using it, even with processor-intensive tasks like gaming.

Dust will eventually obstruct a portable Mac's fans, but cleaning its interior ought to be left to Apple or an authorized Apple repair provider due to the strong possibility of damaging it if you were to attempt that yourself.

Read Mac notebooks: Operating temperature - Apple Support and Learn about the fans in your Mac - Apple Support.

Update OS X. To learn how to do that read Update OS X and App Store apps on your Mac - Apple Support. Yosemite version 10.10.5 is the current release. You can download it here: Mac OS X 10.5.5 Combo Update

is my computer to hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.