Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erase rewritable cd - disc utility el capitan

How does El Capitan Disc Utility permit a user to erase (ready to re-write) a rewritable CD (CD-RW)? The "Erase" option is greyed out, so what to do? is this an oversight, a removed functionality, or something that has moved elsewhere?? Ideas / suggestions. anyone??

Thanks for any and all help / advice, in advance!

User uploaded file

P.S: I am actually running El Capitan - my profile was not updated prior to this posting!! 😀

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), null

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 9:20 AM

I just spoke with Apple Support and collectively we stumbled upon the answer to this!!! 😀

Go into Finder - locate the CD you want to erase - right-click it - there is an option there to "erase rewritable disc XYZ"

That's the new way to erase a rewritable CD - just tested it and it works fine!!! 😀

3 replies

Nov 20, 2015 6:40 PM in response to pharos_hill

Using Finder to erase a CD works well provided that the cd can be mounted. I configured my mac to "ignore" when inserting a music cd (via System Preferences-> CDs & DVDs) and iTunes is not running, inserting a music cd (RW) will be mounted and visible from Finder to erase.

However, if iTunes is running, inserting the music cd will be mounted and opened in iTunes (overriding the "ignore" preference). In this scenario, I have to quit iTunes and then I can erase the music cd.

And I've also encountered the situation where iTunes had encountered an error while writing to a cd. In my case the cd was merely dirty. After cleaning the cd, I can't erase the cd because it cannot be mounted (using Finder or df from Terminal). However, it's "visible" from Disk Utility; and I can see the greyed out mount name -- but it cannot be erased (nor repaired, etc).

erase rewritable cd - disc utility el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.