Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 touch id is not working after ios 9 upgrade

after an upgrade to ios9. Ive noticed that my touch id is not working at all. I kept on using it to unlocked my phone. So iteied to fix it by simply registering new finger. But it seems that its not functioning. It didn't show the biometrics movements on the screen showing that im in the procesa of registering my finger. So i tried to full reset my phone but atill nothing happens. Please help me on this

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 8:22 AM

15 replies

Oct 20, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Iam.berto

Iam.berto wrote:

after an upgrade to ios9. Ive noticed that my touch id is not working at all. I kept on using it to unlocked my phone. So iteied to fix it by simply registering new finger. But it seems that its not functioning. It didn't show the biometrics movements on the screen showing that im in the procesa of registering my finger. So i tried to full reset my phone but atill nothing happens. Please help me on this

From what you're describing, it sounds as if you may have a hardware problem. Try restoring the phone as new, not from back up ands seeing if it works properly. If it doesn't, make an appointment to have it serviced.

Dec 10, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Iam.berto

You may have already found a solution but this solved the problem for me after installing IOS 9.1:

• Go to Touch ID
  • Delete finger prints
  • Turn Passcode Off
  • Turn the phone off
  • Turn the phone on
  • Go to Touch ID and Turn On Passcode
  • Enter a passcode
  • Add your finger prints

This is why this works: The default passcode length for previous versions of the IOS is 4. The default in IOS 9 is 6. Touch ID is expecting to find a longer passcode so when it doesn't find it, it's not opening the phone.

Dec 10, 2015 1:27 PM in response to M.A.D.md

M.A.D.md wrote:

You may have already found a solution but this solved the problem for me after installing IOS 9.1:

• Go to Touch ID
  • Delete finger prints
  • Turn Passcode Off
  • Turn the phone off
  • Turn the phone on
  • Go to Touch ID and Turn On Passcode
  • Enter a passcode
  • Add your finger prints

This is why this works: The default passcode length for previous versions of the IOS is 4. The default in IOS 9 is 6. Touch ID is expecting to find a longer passcode so when it doesn't find it, it's not opening the phone.

TouchID worked fine for me with at 4 digit passcode with iOS 9.1 until I changed about 3 weeks ago.

Dec 10, 2015 2:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I apologize, I don't know what you changed. Your passcode? Your finger print? Your OS? .... It's true, Touch ID appears to work with 4 characters; at least it did with mine. Except, Touch ID would not work if I rebooted the phone or if I tried to use it to open any app, for example 1 Password, or tried to pay in the Apple store.

Since taking the steps I mentioned, Touch ID has been stable.

Hope you are able to find a solution that works for you.

Dec 10, 2015 3:49 PM in response to M.A.D.md

M.A.D.md wrote:

I apologize, I don't know what you changed. Your passcode? Your finger print? Your OS? .... It's true, Touch ID appears to work with 4 characters; at least it did with mine. Except, Touch ID would not work if I rebooted the phone or if I tried to use it to open any app, for example 1 Password, or tried to pay in the Apple store.

TouchID isn't looking for the passcode. It will continue to work with a 4-digit passcode under iOS 9.1. TouchID doesn't work after you reboot the phone. It's not supposed to. If you restart, you have to enter your password.

Dec 11, 2015 5:15 PM in response to M.A.D.md

M.A.D.md wrote:

Ok, I'm glad your 4 digit passcode is working. For me, no passcode is necessary after reboot; I can open the phone with touch id.

If, after you power the phone off and power it back on, your phone does not require the passcode but can be unlocked with TouchID, it is different than all other phones. The phone cannot access the Secure Enclave until it has fully powered on and been unlocked with a passcode.

About Touch ID security on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Are you sure you don't mean when you wake the phone up from sleep?

Iphone 6 touch id is not working after ios 9 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.