Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new internal 4tb drive not showing up in disk utility

my mother has a 2009 Mac Pro OS X 10.10.5

Last week the HD packed up and she restored from backup to a 2nd drive she has in the machine.

She purchased a HGSt 4tb internal drive to replace the broken one.

I have put the new drive in all the 4 bays but it does not show up in disk utility so it can be formatted.

Any help or ideas as to how I can get this drive working for her.

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 11:25 AM

9 replies

Oct 20, 2015 2:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your reply

The drive is quoted as SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm.

Re the old drive:

Apparently it would not boot up although initially the Win7 partition worked. After a while the Win7 drive wasn't showing up when booting with Alt key.

The backup drive which is an external USB drive is ok.

I have since tried another old drive of mine in all the trays and it is visible in disk utility.

Is there anyway of checking if the new drive is actually DOA.

thanks

Oct 20, 2015 2:36 PM in response to dogsnadgers

Drives over about 3TB are problematic, but not for advanced technical reasons. It's due to really simple stuff. The screws.

There is not enough room for full-length screws on certain drives that contain an extra platter. Some manufacturers have reduced the allowable penetration depth of the screws into the drive where they are adjacent to the platters. You must be extremely careful when mounting these drives to the sled. Each and every screw must be tightened so that the gasket under the screw is 'just snug'.

If the screw hole has been shortened, the screw will appear tight before the gasket has been compressed. Then the drive will not hang straight from the sled, but will be cocked. When you go to insert it into the bay, the connector will not mate, and the drive will not be visible in Disk Utility.

Solutions include shortening the screws, or putting a washer under the screw head.

Oct 20, 2015 2:50 PM in response to dogsnadgers

What sled/mount screws/mounting holes are you using? are you using?

With the higher capacity disks like you have the screws you use have to be shortened or use a newer sled that use the alternate mounting holes on the disk.

If the screes are too long they bottom out i the drive and protrude from the sled prevent good contacts between the disk and the backplane connector.

Try using the drive with a dock or similar external USB enclosure.

Also you will have trouble formatting the drive with 10.8.4 and later

That bug appeared in 10.8.4, and has not yet been fixed.

using a Disk Utility from any older Mac OS X, including the 10.6 DVD (if your Mac can boot from it) or any saved Installer DVD or thumb drive will work.

Another work-around is to move that drive to an external enclosure and Erase it there (provided your enclosure is modern enough to deal with drives over 2.2TB.

Oct 21, 2015 9:24 AM in response to dogsnadgers

You can restore everything (which is really easy) and the old Mac OS X will be installed as well. You can restore just Applications. You can restore just User files.

Do not be concerned about overall system Preferences, there almost none of those, and they will be recreated as needed without causing trouble. The bulk of preferences are stored and restored with users data.

To restore everything:

Pondini's Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions: 14. How do I restore my entire system?

To selectively restore, you can restore just specific items or the entire /Users sub-directory, but you need Mac OS X running to do this:

Pondini's Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions:15. How do I view or restore selected items?

new internal 4tb drive not showing up in disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.