Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get 2560x1080 resolution on MBP 2011 using LG Ultrawide 25UM65

Hi,

Im sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have recently purchased an LG Ultrawide monitor 25UM65 which supports 2560x1080 resolution, but cannot get it to work for the life of me. Im on MACBOOK PRO, running OSX EL CAPITAL 10.11, which has an INTEL HD GRAPHICS 3000 384 MB graphics card.

It works with a hdmi->thunderbolt cable but I cannot get the correct resolution from system preferences.

I then downloaded SwitchResX (latest version - 4.5.2) and added a custom resolution with a configuration that I saw on a different discussion topic - to no avail. Once I save the custom resolution, it just says "Not Installed" under status and does not do anything after a restart.

I also saw a fix which is getting a DisplayPort --> Mini Displayport wire (I am using the display port wire that I got with the monitor plugged into an adapter which has a mini-displayport), which apparently is an easy fix on another discussion thread, however when I do this my monitor is not even recognised, it just says "NO SIGNAL WILL POWER DOWN IN 10 SECONDS". I upgraded to El Capitan, I did a NVRAM/SMC reboot, I tinkered with the monitors display settings as well (input was set to DisplayPort, and there is no "out" DisplayPort port, only an "in" so I do not have it wrongly plugged in). All connections have been thoroughly checked.

If anyone has any ideas because I have been on this for 6 hours straight now and I am at my wits end !!!

Thanks in advance.

Some further info:

OSX: El Capital (V 10.11)

MacBook Pro 13-inch, Early 2011

Processor: 2.3Ghz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Display: LG ULTRAWIDE 25UM65

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 11:18 AM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2015 12:28 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Dear Grant,

Thanks for the reply.

I had already unchecked the Mirror Displays feature. With the HDMI-->Thunderbolt cable, the monitor functions properly, in the sense that my display is extended, however not at the optimum resolution (which would be 2560x1080).

Using the DisplayPort cable and Mini-Displayport adapter, my monitor is not even recognised, therefore there is no option to uncheck Mirror Displays in System Preferences.

I tried using a HDMI-HDMI cable with the Mini-Displayport Adapter, and it works just as the HDMI-Thunderbolt does (i.e, extended display at incorrect resolution). Therefore my adapter is working correctly.

Perhaps the DisplayPort cable is not compatible? It came with the monitor so I don't see why not.

Anyway thanks for your help!

Oct 20, 2015 1:07 PM in response to LORD FARAZ WOLF

Ok I fixed it. I don't know why this is working but at this stage I dont care.

This is exactly what happened:

I read somewhere deep in the bowels of like the third or fourth page of Google that a guy got it working by closing his macbook at the same time as using DisplayPort Wire ("DP")--> Mini DisplayPort ("Mini DP Adapter")

I was using a HDMI cable through the Mini DP Adapter. I thought, ok let me try plugging in the DisplayPort wire at the same time (the adapter has a port for both which can be used simultaneously) then closing the Macbook.

So I plugged in the DisplayPort wire, and nothing happened as I have to change the input to DisplayPort on the Monitor from HDMI. I changed the input to DisplayPort, and it said NO SIGNAL (which was my issue).

Then I closed my bleeping Macbook, and VOILA THE SCREEN BURSTS INTO LIFE FULL 2560x1080 !! So I was happy but also slightly upset that I couldn't use my new monitor with my MacBook open, but hey whatever.

Well, what if I can? So, I try opening the MacBook, AND THEY BOTH WORK PERFECTLY.

PLOT TWIST: All the while, the HDMI cable is still plugged into the Mini DP Adapter and into the Monitor. So I thought, well closing the Macbook must have refreshed something or something else or blah blah, so I can remove the HDMI cable.

I remove the HDMI cable from the Mini DP Adapter AND THE MONITOR DISPLAYS NO SIGNAL!! WHAT IS LIFE!?

SO MY MONITOR IS WORKING WITH A HDMI CABLE AND A DISPLAY PORT CABLE BOTH PLUGGED IN THROUGH A BLEEPING MINI DP ADAPTER WITH THE INPUT SET TO DISPLAYPORT.

Being a man of (reasonable in my own completely unqualified and probably wrong opinion) logic the ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS THAT THE MINI DP ADAPTER DRAWS POWER FROM THE MONITOR!? AND THE DISPLAY PORT CABLE WASNT PROPERLY POWERING IT!?

I don't know. At this point, I don't care. Well I do, its still bugging the **** out of me, but it works. I can't tell you why.

Jan 24, 2016 6:20 PM in response to LORD FARAZ WOLF

So hey I have the same monitor and I'm trying to get this. Understanding your post I feel like I've done all the same. For being a computer tech I feel stumped!

LG 25UM56

MBP 13" Early 2011

8GB 1600Mhz

256GB SSD

Intel HD Graphics 3000

I've got a MiniDP to HDMI plugged into my MBP and an HDMI to HDMI cable running from that adapter to the monitor..... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

As well SwitchResX doesn't do jack. I can set the monitor to stretch the screen but that's not what I truly want. NEED FULL 2560x1080

Please help, if you solved it, which sound like you did. Do I need a direct Mini DP to HDMI cable I can get that but I want to know that the adapter is causing the issue.

Cannot get 2560x1080 resolution on MBP 2011 using LG Ultrawide 25UM65

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.