Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Magic Trackpad Not Working After Upgrade to El Capitan

I have a 27" iMac, 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD. After installing 10.11 (El Capitan) everything is working flawlessly except for the Bluetooth Magic Trackpad. Once connected, it disconnects and reconnects every 5 seconds. I had no issues with the Trackpad before the upgrade AND my Bluetooth magic mouse works fine. It's only the trackpad that disconnects and reconnects every 5 seconds. It's almost as if after the upgrade the Bluetooth cannot maintain the connection but still sees the trackpad but then loses it again. And so on.

I have tried the following fixes:

- Asked Bluetooth to forget the trackpad and paired it anew;

- PRAM reset

- MAC reset

- restart in Safe mode + trackpad pairing

- restart in Recovery mode + trackpad pairing

- created a new dummy account + trackpad pairing in new dummy account.

Nothing works. The magic mouse remains connected w/o any issues but the iMac cannot keep the connection with the trackpad.

Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 12:52 PM

4 replies

Oct 21, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Eric, but none of the posted links are applicable.

• The issue is not that the Bluetooth trackpad has become unresponsive. The issue is that since installing El Capitan, the OS is unable to maintain the connection with the trackpad. The trackapd worked flawlessly with OS 10.6.
  • There are no sources of interference. Also the trackapd worked flawlessly with OS 10.6 and the connectivity issues have started only after having installed El Capitan.
  • The trackpad is neither jumpy nor erratic.

Thank you, however, for taking the time to read the post. Any other suggestion that I haven't tried yet?

Bluetooth Magic Trackpad Not Working After Upgrade to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.