Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Un de-syncable songs

Hello there,

Ever since I updated my iPod Touch 5th gen to iOS8 (now on iOS9), I have "ghost" songs in my music library on the device.

Typically, they're playable only when I'm connected to wi-fi and grayed out the rest of the time, they're duplicates of songs I already have in my library or songs that I used to have but chose to un-tick in iTunes so that they don't sync anymore.

The "ghost" songs won't let me delete them on the device either and they don't appear twice in my iTunes library.

I think I had this problem before iOS 8 but disabling "show all music" in the settings corrected it.

This options no longer exists and the ghosts are back.

They're really annoying because every time they play in random mode it skips automatically and breaks my current playlist and when I'm actually connected to the internet, songs I de-synced still play.

I don't manually copy songs to my iPod and I don't use iCloud at all.

I tried de-syncing all music and re-syncing and until I reconnected to the wifi, the grayed-out duplicates were back (the duplicates inexplicably seem to have merged later and the unwanted ones are still there).

If it's any indication of what is going on, I looked at the music in the "on my device" tab and the duplicates/unwanted songs show up like this, with the weird circle logo :

User uploaded file

On this screeshot, we can see "Hold on be strong" and "Nathaniel" are duplicates of songs I've since removed and others are just duplicates.

Thanks in advance for your help with getting rid of these.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 2:17 PM

9 replies

Nov 10, 2015 11:36 AM in response to lllaass

None of these are helping, I'm afraid.

They're not failing to transfer (some are actually duplicates), I'm not managing tracks manually and I have plenty of memory left on the device.

In my case It seems to be happening to tracks I bought from my iPod that automatically downloaded in iTunes.

Nov 11, 2015 1:10 PM in response to lllaass

Right, I guess I'll restore to factory settings at some point.

However, I think I misidentified the issue at first, it seems the extra songs I get are actually my iTunes store purchases, even those I unchecked in iTunes become available on my iPod as soon as I log in with my Apple ID and as long as I'm connected to a wifi.

How can I make sure only the tracks I left checked in iTunes are actually present on the device at any time?

Dec 22, 2015 1:14 PM in response to R734

Update : I just realized that on top of that the ratings and checked/unchecked status of all the greyed/circled tracks magically reset somewhere in the last few days.

So all those I unchecked and didn't want are actually back on my iPod. Oh Joy.

I'm backing up my photos and factory-resetting this spawn of satan.

Un de-syncable songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.