Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recently updated my OS to El Capitan. Now I suddenly can't transfer my files to my external hard drive.

I got the Seagate Back Up Plus 1TB. I'm pretty sure it was working before because I do a back up of my files on a regular basis. I googled for possible fix but can't find a solution, my external hard drive is on NTFS format.

Is there a way to fix this without formatting my hard drive? I don't wanna lose all my files. 😟

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 3:39 PM

15 replies

Oct 20, 2015 6:08 PM in response to JayAlitin

Mac OS X can Read, but not Write Windows New Technology File System formatted drives natively.

If I had to guess, i would guess you had a working aftermarket add-on that worked great in your old Mac OS X, but is Not Functioning Good in 10.11 El Capitan. Check with the manufacturer for a more recent version. For 10.11, extensions need to be signed by the developer or they don't load.

Oct 21, 2015 9:17 AM in response to JayAlitin

Dear JayAlitin,

Good morning to you from Dallas Texas....I am having the exact same issue that you are having...and let me tell you, it is very frustrating. I also have a 1TB Seagate backup external hard drive. Did you ever get your issue resolved? If so please let me know what needs to be done. I am a dj part time and really need to have my music backed to my hard drive. Everything was working fine, before the software update....DARN UPDATES.

-Thank You

Greg G

Nov 30, 2015 2:54 AM in response to JayAlitin

Hi

I'm having the same problem that you had a few weeks ago. When you installed your 10 day trial, did you have to format your external HD or not? I have a whole bunch of stuff on my external HD that I can't afford to lose, I was just wondering if i'm stuck buying a new drive or after the installation of that "patch" it worked fine... for 10 days

Thanks

Dan

recently updated my OS to El Capitan. Now I suddenly can't transfer my files to my external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.