Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad 2 can't upgrade to IOS 9 (ununknown error (9)

I have Ipad 2 . I need to upgrade it to IOS 9. I upgrade it with Ituens. because it didn't available in wifi upgrade option. IOS 9 (1.87GB) file fully download and start to install to Ipad it was take some time and came massage "unknown error (9). I already click on more information and did all things in your help sits. but still there problem. pls help me to upgrade this to version 9.

thank you

Mariyo

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2, unknown error (9)

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 10:45 PM

9 replies

Oct 22, 2015 10:51 AM in response to mariyo.dias

Hello there, marino.dias.

It sounds like you're getting "unknown error 9" when trying to update your iPad 2. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great help for the particular error you're describing:

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Check your security software

Errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1611, 9006.

Sometimes security software can stop your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't blocking a connection to the Apple servers.

If you still see the error message, check for USB connection issues.

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Nov 3, 2015 8:20 AM in response to pedro d

I too am having the same problem. I have an iPad 2 running IOS 4.3.1. I've tried 5 different computers and cables, including a Mac. I even took it to an Apple Store and they too get error 9 when trying to update or restore my iPad 2.

I can't update over the air because this feature was not implemented until IOS 5.

It appears I am stuck on IOS 4.3.1 until Apple resolves this.

Any other suggestions?

Feb 21, 2016 9:21 AM in response to modular747

ok so its my first post and I wasn't actually expecting a reply from apple

but since this isn't your first rodeo

why didn't you read the thread?

or my comment?

then you would know everyone here has tried restore and every other option to no avail

best I can find is if you didn't upgrade to ios 5 or higher or before io9 came out, a ios4 wont updater to an ios9...

Feb 21, 2016 11:06 AM in response to Sixfootdrop

why didn't you read the thread?

or my comment?

then you would know everyone here has tried restore and every other option to no avail

Having actually read the thread, the only post mentioning attempting to restore was made 11/3/15 - absolutely no one else, including yourself - not exactly "everyone." I've restored an iPad 2 without any problems. If you can't, try recovery mode as explained here: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If recovery mode doesn't work, there is a hardware problem.

ipad 2 can't upgrade to IOS 9 (ununknown error (9)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.