Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded OS X El Capitan. Now i can´t move documents to the trash, i get the error - 43. Can someone help please?

I downloaded OS X El Capitan. Now I can´t move documents to the trash, because i get the error - 43. Where is my mistake?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 2:49 AM

Sounds like a file permissions problem, or a corruption of the file tables. Error -43 is a 'file not found' error and can be a number of things.

I assume you can't right click a file and 'Move to Trash' either.

Assuming you have a valid TimeMachine or other backup, they these in order:

1. Reboot into Recovery mode by holding the Command and R keys simultaneously
  2. Using Disk Utility, run a disk check on your HD, then a permissions check, switch to Repair if needed.
  3. Reboot and login, try deleting a file from your desktop.

Further checks are to see if it does the same in other users accounts if you have any, or logon as Guest and see if you can trash any files as this will point out if it's a system wide thing or just in your user account.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2015 2:49 AM in response to onkelalbert

Sounds like a file permissions problem, or a corruption of the file tables. Error -43 is a 'file not found' error and can be a number of things.

I assume you can't right click a file and 'Move to Trash' either.

Assuming you have a valid TimeMachine or other backup, they these in order:

1. Reboot into Recovery mode by holding the Command and R keys simultaneously
  2. Using Disk Utility, run a disk check on your HD, then a permissions check, switch to Repair if needed.
  3. Reboot and login, try deleting a file from your desktop.

Further checks are to see if it does the same in other users accounts if you have any, or logon as Guest and see if you can trash any files as this will point out if it's a system wide thing or just in your user account.

Nov 4, 2015 9:31 AM in response to onkelalbert

Having the same problem since El Capitan. Here's what I found that works for me:

- Hold down alt/option and right-click (or 2 finger tap) on the Finder icon in the Dock

- select Relaunch from the menu

This will restart Finder which fixes the problem for me for a while, and then it breaks again, so you have to repeat the process. Not sure what's causing it but at least this workaround is a lot less intrusive than a logout/reboot.

I hope Apple will figure out what's going on and release a fix for it soon.

I downloaded OS X El Capitan. Now i can´t move documents to the trash, i get the error - 43. Can someone help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.