Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert from m4p to mp3?

I have the new iTunes, I believe the version is 12.2. I would like to convert my 200+ old iTunes "Protected AAC Audio Files" / m4p songs to Purchased AAC Audio Files or mp3 files so that I can use them on something other than my iPod (such as my android phone, or my android tablet, or my husband's android phone, or a cd in my car...). I already purchased iTunes Match which has brought the number of affected files down to the afore mentioned 200+ songs. I've tried searching online and in apple to find a solution to this, but with no success. I tried burning them to CDs as I've seen suggested many times, but they do not burn correctly, the song length always come out weird (such as every single song on the disc comes out at 2:36 or 4:06 in length, regardless of how long the song actually is and regardless of the burn speed or that I have selected none as the space between songs), I tried purchasing a 4media file converter, but the songs always end up 0:00 in length or at the correct length but with no sound at all. I don't see any other option other than to repurchase the songs as mp3 files from amazon or google (since iTunes is sooooo overpriced), and I don't think I should have to do this since I already purchased the songs from Apple at a grossly overpriced rate in the first place. If I have to purchase my music a second time just so that it is actually usable, I'm afraid I will NEVER purchase anything Apple again, I refuse to support such deplorable thievery and nonsense. I saw some comments about a 30 cent per song upgrade fee, but I don't even see that option in the iTunes store. Is anyone aware of a way to convert these old m4p files to mp3 (that doesn't result in an absurd amount of malware and viruses on my computer)?

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 2:22 PM

10 replies

Oct 21, 2015 6:07 PM in response to ed2345

Yeh, I tried that but they are almost never burning correctly. I burnt about nine discs and only like four songs total came out ok. It keeps taking and changing the length of the song, so some are ending halfway through the song or others have 10 minutes of dead air at the end. I tried burning at slower speeds but that didn't help either.

Oct 21, 2015 8:34 PM in response to lucky_pez

Moral: If you want music files that are compatible with a wide variety of software and devices, do not shop at iTunes Store, they only want you to use Apple software and devices and they do not sell mp3 files. It is certainly possible to create mp3 versions of m4a files within iTunes, but it looks like I never bought any m4p files myself. I assume you have tried?

Oct 21, 2015 8:34 PM in response to ed2345

Thanks ed2345, but I tried that too and it worked for many, but it didn't work for these final 210 songs. I don't know if purchase date is a factor with that or not? They show up in my receipts in like the order history area of my account, but they don't appear in purchases any more. I could understand if iTunes no longer carries the songs, but they do still have the songs in the iTunes store available for around 99 cents each...

Oct 21, 2015 11:27 PM in response to Marvin Martianul

Yes Marvin Martianul I tried and it just comes up with an error message saying that iTunes can't convert a protected file type to an mp3 (even though I bought them from iTunes in the first place!). I also purchased and tried the 4Media mp4 to mp3 converter which didn't work, all of the songs had a 0:00 length or no volume. I also purchased and tried the Aimersoft DRM Media Converter and none of the files had any volume either.... but, after literally two days spent on trying to convert these songs in iTunes I have at last stumbled across a way that works (and is not in any of the iTunes support documents that I've found or been referred to...)

Oct 21, 2015 11:56 PM in response to lucky_pez

So... if anyone else is having this problem, all of my songs that wouldn't match yesterday with the older version of iTunes did match with the newest version of iTunes today. What you need to do is first subscribe to iTunes Match (now found in the iTunes Store in a menu on the right hand side of the screen) and allow the iCloud to sync with your whole library (it takes literally like hours). Then from the My Music Screen click on File, New, Smart Playlist, change "artist" to "kind" and type "protected aac audio file" in the blank box, and click on ok. This will create a playlist containing all of your m4p files, highlight them all and "check selection" on all of them so you don't have to investigate every single song individually. It would be a good idea to highlight all of the songs and right click to get the "check selection" option before you do the next step because it will remove them from the playlist and then you will have to hunt them down in your full my music list, the checkmark made that easier. Highlight all of the songs in the playlist and then right click to get the menu, and click on remove download. The songs will disappear form the playlist and you will have to go to your full my music list. Click on the checkmark at the top to organize the list so that all of the checkmarks are together in the list. You'll see a new cloud symbol with a download arrow appearing to the right of the song title and if you click on that it will download the m4a / purchased aac audio file version for the song, click on each one individually (tedious I know). Once they are downloaded the m4a can be easily changed to mp3 by right clicking and selecting create mp3 version. I waited as I went through and just deleted the m4a files then, but you could always create a smart playlist for "purchased aac audio files" and delete them from there or from the duplicate screen (they'll still have checkmarks, making them easy to locate)... Don't forget to change your preferences in the iTunes store if you don't want it to auto bill you for a Match subscription next year...

Feb 12, 2016 1:46 PM in response to lucky_pez

I just want to update this topic to reflect what may have been a change with respect to the way Apple administers Match. Despite the fact that iTunes Match is proposed as a workaround for those of us with old DRM-protected content in our libraries — I found similar recommendations on a USA Today page, a Wired magazine guide and on the Macworld website — in my experience iTunes Match does NOT allow for m4a replacements as a solution for those of us who still have a lot of m4p's in our music libraries.

The Matches will indeed show "Purchased" but when you do a "get info" on the file it will still have an mp4 extension on it! So if you happened to have made a lot of purchases prior to 2009, which is the year Apple stopped using that particular kind of DRM, the DRM protection you ended up with back then will remain in place after using iTunes Match.

What's odd is that initially iTunes Match appeared to provide m4as but upon subsequent launches of the iTunes app I find they have rreverted back to m4ps. When sorted by "kind" the Matches continue to misleadingly state that they are "Purchased" even though they in fact remained Protected. Within a few days and relaunches of the iTunes app, they will update back to "Protected" in the sort-by-kind field. This applies to any titles purchased before 2009 — so, in other words, back to square one.

I am out of options under iTunes 11 given that there are no further updates for my OS. But I would assume, since Match is a Cloud service, that Apple made an adjustment to the way Match operates after this workaround was widely reported as a solution to the m4p/DRM issues that some users are continuing to encounter.

I used an iPod Photo for over 10 years and never gave a second thought to what type of file restrictions were in place. When you purchase your music legally, as I did, and do not attempt to stray outside the Apple fold, you don't realize the headaches you will encounter until it's too late. Back in 2009 when the DRM restrictions were lifted I never received any notice from Apple that it was recommended to upgrade to iTunes Plus or the like to make my 2009 and earlier purchases a bit more "future proof". I didn't encounter issues until I attempted to join the 21st Century and play my music library on a non-Apple smartphone. I quickly came to appreciate that many of the purchases I made in 2009 and earlier — because I've been buying through iTunes exclusively for over 10 years — could not be played back on anything but my ancient iPod Photo.

There are many website guides and many discussions suggesting that iTunes Match will provide replacements for DRM tracks, and at least initially it did give the appearance of succeeding. But in my library, at least, Apple has silently re-converted the Matches into what they were to begin — m4p's — and so I'm back to square one. I just thought I would post here to warn others that are late to these headaches that iTunes Match will only make things more complicated by first porting your library over to the Cloud and then, if you turn it off, having the outdated version on the Cloud come back down again once you turn Match back on. (With all the duplication headaches that implies.) When I found that my pre-2009 iTunes Matches were Purchases in name only, I attempted to re-match my library and now my housecleaning headaches have started over again. I've literally wasted hours.

As you can imagine, I cannot recommend iTunes Match. In the old days, if a particular software was updated you had to click "Agree" or install the update with some form of physical media. But with these Cloud based services there aren't update notices flashing across your screen to indicate that some functionality on the server (Cloud) side has been altered in some significant way. So it gives the appearance that your library has developed a "mind of its own" when it is entirely possible — probable, even — that there have been updates applied to the service that occurred behind the Cloud. Although there are menu options for turning the Cloud (Match) side "off", my observation suggests that Apple doesn't honor the "off" (do not tamper/modify) settings in iTunes 11. By all appearances, Match continued to modify my library contents every time I launched iTunes, even though I brought back down all my files to the local side for the sake of being able to sync my non iOS device. My take on the Cloud at this point is that it is very, very opaque to the user and yet functions like an open door — whereas the user of Cloud-enabled applications/services can't appreciate who is coming and going through that door. After experiencing these headaches I contacted Apple support. To even contact Apple support using their "Contact Us" form you have to type your name, email, etc. I asked for a refund — because I want Match to stop modifying my library even when I have it "Off" in the menu — and they said they could not help me because they could not locate my Apple ID, which was BS because the Support email contained my Apple ID-linked email and contact Info. Ugh.

Feb 12, 2016 6:53 PM in response to NewsView

Back in 2009 when the DRM restrictions were lifted I never received any notice from Apple that it was recommended to upgrade to iTunes Plus

After iTunes Plus was introduced, Apple ran a program for the next three years whereby you could upgrade individual tracks for 30 cents apiece. It actually was quite well publicized at the time.

But more to the point, what makes you think tracks are "reverting" to protected? If you download the file and make sure it is actually an M4A, does iTunes come along later and actually replace the file on your hard drive?

Feb 14, 2016 6:30 AM in response to NewsView

I recently purchased iTunes Match to release my old DRM tracks. Rather than let iTunes Match crawl through my library which is meticulously organized the way I want it I made a separate library for the task of downloading the DRM free versions of my old purchases. After downloading I updated the backup of my main library and made a backup of the tracks I had just downloaded. I added the new copies into my original library and then used my deduping script to resolve the duplicates. I had to make some minor metadata corrections to the downloaded tracks to ensure they matched the originals in my library. I also updated the script slightly so that the preserved entry in the library takes on the original date added value. This method also keeps ratings, plays & playlist membership. I've seen no evidence of iTunes wanting to revert any of my changes or redownload DRM versions of tracks in either my main library or the iTunes Match library. Looking at some notes I see that three of my old tracks initially downloaded as Protected AAC but I was then able to redownload as Matched AAC.

tt2

How to convert from m4p to mp3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.