Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not backup iPod Touch (after system update 21/10/2015)

My iPod Touch (iPod1,1) usually sync and backup fine.

After today OS X El Capitain System Update (21/10/2015) it will not sync or backup.

All steps here will not work:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203271

Tried to restore to factory default twice, and even rename the iPod factory name just in case

Remove in iTunes and in folder the backup folders.

Still not working.

Thoughts?

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 6:24 PM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2016 1:35 AM in response to brun

Brun, this isn't a solution. It's a polite way of telling you to go away.

Older devices continue to work with iTunes 12.

Apple keeps updating iTunes and doesn't publish that it won't work with select older devices in the notes, so it wasn't an intentional end-of-life. Marking the issue closed does a disservice to everyone else who has the same problem with perfectly good hardware.

May 8, 2016 3:43 AM in response to brun

While itunes 12.3 won't work with the original ipod touch (3.1.3), at least on Windows 7, itunes 12.1.3 works fine, syncs and backs up.

I had to read this thread to find out why itunes wasn't backing up my old ipod. Since it did back up with itunes 12.1.3 I went back to that version.

However (again, for Windows 7) if you're going to go from 12.3 to a previous version of itunes you have to follow this guy's advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn82w_hxgwQ

and uninstall itunes and then uninstall the other four Apple programs that itunes leaves behind before you install 12.1.3, otherwise 12.1.3 will still not back up your ipod (and they may keep itunes from installing if you're using a version older than 12.1.3.)

Also you have to follow everyone's advice about having to replace your itunes library file with a previous itunes library file that's old enough to be compatible with the version of itunes you're installing.

That's the advantage of using 12.1.3 instead of say 10.7, you can use a more recent old library file.

iTunes could not backup iPod Touch (after system update 21/10/2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.