Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail will not accept password or username and will not send mail. Receives e mail ok.

Have 3 emai accounts. All 3 receive mail but only one wil send mail. Other two accounts give me " username or password incorrect. Have verified both passwords and usernames and have reentered them. Did not help.. Deeted accounts and reenterd them. Did not help. Have hard reboot , no change.

Am at wits end.

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 8:23 PM

Which domains does those email belongs to?

If it's an Hotmail for example, be sure to add on "Outlook" and not from "Add an account".

If it's with Bell or Simpatico, it's with Outlook also. Gmail belongs to Google.

If your domain is a business one, this is more complex to insert.

7 replies

Nov 10, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Billfromwoodville

I found this on a different Apple support community chat.

Check the outgoing mail server setting. Make sure that your username and password are in there.

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Your email account>Account>Outgoing mail server - tap the server name next to SMTP and check in the primary server and make sure your username and password are entered and correct - even if it says that the password is optional.

I did this and it worked, finally I can send email from iPad.

Nov 14, 2016 4:45 PM in response to Billfromwoodville

I have an email account that is my primary - I used it without issue on my iPhone 6 through all iOS builds up to 10. I just got a new iPhone 7 with latest iOS build and have tried to use that same account using either POP3 or IMAP settings - with ALL correct usernames, ports, passwords etc. I just spent 1 hour on chat with the host. they verified all settings were correct and that there must be an error with the current iOS build and asked that I contact Apple about it.

My two other gmail accounts work fine with my iPhone - sending and receiving. But I simply cannot send email using my primary account. The error that I get is:

'Cannot Send Mail The user name or password for "valerideout.com" is incorrect"

the settings that I'm told to use for this account - and that have all been entered correctly (and that worked previously with my iPhone 6) are:

The details should be the same for all iPhones: Username: your email address Password: password for this email account Incoming/outgoing servers name: mail.privateemail.com Incoming server type: IMAP or POP3 Incoming server (IMAP): 993 port for SSL Incoming server (POP3): 995 port for SSL Outgoing server (SMTP): 465 port for SSL

Please help. I would rather use the Apple email client instead of downloading a third party client.

Mail will not accept password or username and will not send mail. Receives e mail ok.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.