Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi missing after upgrade

So before El Capitan my Mac Pro (Early 2008) had wifi capabilities. I could connect to my wifi network although i usually =just went connected through the ethernet port. I saw the wifi icon in the menubar and I could remove or add it in the system prefs if I didnt want to see it. I could share that wifi conection and connect my phone to it as well.

After upgrading to El Capitan, i can do none of those things. I dont see the icon, cant find in the settings to put it back on (used to be the check box that says show in menubar), I cant find anyway to connect to a wifi network or share it.

Any ideas what happened?

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 6:15 PM

15 replies

Oct 21, 2015 9:46 PM in response to tomstitzer

Ill try the reset and then the test user as well.

But take a look at this picture. I see the bluetooth module, and i see where an airport card should go... ive NEVER had an airport card in this MacPro, but i KNOW FOR CERTAIN I connected to Wifi networks with it because It was a lot slower than when i connected via cable. I even at one point purposely turned wifi OFF so it would automatically connect and I could use the cable connection.

How did i connect wirelessly (and like i said above, use the mac as a wifi access point for my phone) if I dont have an airport card in there?

User uploaded file

Oct 22, 2015 6:47 PM in response to jStephens8

Yeah I have an iPhone 6 with the hotspot. I'm thinking I'll just downgrade to Yosemite rather than try and solve this puzzle. I don't NEED the capabilities that are missing that bad so I can survive until this next weekend or the one after when I have time to reinstall. Once I do that I will report back and see if the airdrop and wifi somehow comes back. I did have it before and I know I wasn't using any dongles or such. So weird. Thanks for the help and stay tuned!

Oct 24, 2015 10:34 AM in response to lllaass

OMG, lllaass and lStephens8...

Please permit me to facepalm myself and invite you both to facepalm me as well or smack me upside the head. I am 40 but didnt think my memory was going THAT quickly. I have a MacMini, newer model, maybe 2-3 years old at most. It was my main machine here in my little bedroom office. I finally decided a few months ago to get my MacPro working again. Was attempting to sell it because I didnt really need it but decided to let my children 6 and 8 have the macmini for their stuff. And so I would use the MacPro. Aaaand like I said, Airdrop and my wifi, they worked perfectly and I used them all the time. All. The. Time.

ON MY MINI.

Which is not in this bedroom. Not in my office. THIS is my MacPro.

I forgot I switched the computers out.

I. FORGOT.

DOH.

Thanks both of you for attempting to help. I'm an idiot.

Oct 24, 2015 10:41 AM in response to tomstitzer

That just tells you the software is available.

If you have Hardware as well, there is a lot more stuff in that report, such what channels are available and such.

Software Versions:

CoreWLAN: 5.0 (500.35.2)

CoreWLANKit: 4.3 (430.38.1)

Menu Extra: 10.3 (1030.34)

System Information: 9.0 (900.9)

IO80211 Family: 7.3 (730.60)

Diagnostics: 4.2 (420.71)

AirPort Utility: 6.3.5 (635.2)

Interfaces:

en2:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.24)

MAC Address: 00:24:36:af:94:8f

Locale: FCC

Country Code: US

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11,

36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64,

100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124,

128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

Current Network Information:

Bennet-AlderAssociates:

PHY Mode: 802.11n

Wifi missing after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.