Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else not able to send/receive calls after updating iPhone 4s to iOS 9.1?

Hello everyone,

I just updated my iPhone 4s to the latest iOS, iOS 9.1. Since doing so, I have been unable to receive or send any calls. I am told by callers that when they call me, they hear two rings, and then their calls go to voicemail. I do not hear any of these rings and do not get a "missed call" notification, but I can receive the voicemails. Likewise, when I try to make a call, my phone ends the call before it has a chance to ring. I have tried all traditional troubleshooting, such as ensuring that call forwarding, airplane mode, and do not disturb are off, as well as doing a hard reset. I doubt a factory reset will resolve the issue as it occurred exactly after downloading the new iOS. Is anyone else experiencing this? What can I do to rectify this issue?

Thank you!

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 8:36 PM

13 replies

Oct 26, 2015 5:37 PM in response to tabithj

I am having this same exact issue. Im' pretty irate about it too. I mean, if you are forced to 'upgrade' and the first function of your phone, that is to be able to make calls fails, then this is a catastrophic failure. Why wasn't this tested for god's sake!?? Has anyone found a fix? I need this functionality! 😮

Nov 8, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Wintersilke

I tried this first:Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings. **This did NOT work for me

I found this in a Youtube comment that resolved my issue.

This will only work for Sprint users,

1. Turn your wifi on and connect

2. Then go to your phone dialing pad and dial ##873283# then hit the dial button

3. You will get a screen that pops up, sorry I don’t recall what it said then hit ok, you should get a second screen that pops up and hit ok, if you get a fail then you are not connected to a wifi

4. Then try making a call if it doesn’t go through then go to the Settings>Celluar>turn cellular data off and back on (I had to do this step and it worked for me) then try to make a call

*The explanation they got was that you have to reconnect to Sprint.

Dec 6, 2015 5:32 PM in response to tabithj

I tried the update from Sprint about dialing dial ##873283# but that did not work for me. The calls still took either 8 secs to dial or I would get call failed. I went to settings, then cellular and disabled LTE. This worked for me. Calls went through like normal. Hopefully apple will come out with a fix for this quick because it is annoying.

Feb 9, 2016 8:22 PM in response to tabithj

I recently allowed my Sprint IPhone 4s to update to IOS 9.2.1, HUGE MISTAKE!!! Because now it says its a Verizon phone?????????

Since updating the phone I cannot make nor receive calls. I have spent the past 2 days on the phone with both Sprint and Apple Support and neither seems to be able to help me. We have reset the phone at least 12 times. The phone will not Restore from ITunes nor will it restore from ICloud. Finally i decided to forget the restore and just tried setting the phone up as if it were brand new. That didn't work either. Every time I try the ##873283# I hear a voicemail from Verizon asking if I want to make a call using my credit card. I've also tried ##25327# but that does nothing at all. We have also tried holding the top and bottom buttons so that the Apple and power cord comes on the screen and then connecting to itunes to update and restore all that did was unlock my phone which is what i think deleted Sprint as my carrier. After looking at the settings I see my phones carrier now says Verizon!!! I have never owned a Verizon phone . I bought this phone directly from the Sprint store years ago. When looking at the settings, it now says my carrier is Verizon. Can't figure out why. When speaking with Apple Support, they say the phone shows no carrier at all in their system. The guy said that was both good and bad news, Meaning that my phone is now unlocked and can be used on any carrier. Problem is, I just want to connect back to Sprint. But the folks at Sprint don't seem to know how to fix the issue. Both Sprint and Apple say its the other company's issue. So I ended up having to order a new phone, which won't be here for a couple of days. But in the mean time I'd really like to get this phone working again. Does anyone here or anywhere know how to fix this problem?

Sep 10, 2016 2:27 AM in response to ncstrayhorn

this did not work for me I have an iphone 6s everthing is working except calls out and even though people call me it sounds ok from their end my phone doesn't even receive the call at all. I don't even know they are calling me. when I call a number from my phone it the call fails. emails are working whats app is working internet is working txts are working on imessage and normal txt?

so far I have reset everything except full erase? I have removed sim wiped and put back.

I am on the Three network in uk.

Is anyone else not able to send/receive calls after updating iPhone 4s to iOS 9.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.