Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faulty Copy Functionality on Connectors

Just downloaded the new OS El Capital and the keynote. It seems that there is a bug that I haven't seen before - I cannot copy connectors. Copying other objects seem to be working fine. Did anyone else experienced something similar? How to get around this? Cheers,User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 6:29 AM

I have never known any version of Keynote to allow copying of a connection line, can't imaging why you would want to this as lines are added to specific shapes:

To add a connection line; between two objects; select both objects (command click) then Insert > Line > select the required connection line: straight curved or angled, the two objects will now be connected.

If you want to change the line style of a number of lines: change the colour, line style and stroke of the first line, then use the copy style tool (option command C) then paste style tool (option command V)

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2015 6:29 AM in response to lgama74

I have never known any version of Keynote to allow copying of a connection line, can't imaging why you would want to this as lines are added to specific shapes:

To add a connection line; between two objects; select both objects (command click) then Insert > Line > select the required connection line: straight curved or angled, the two objects will now be connected.

If you want to change the line style of a number of lines: change the colour, line style and stroke of the first line, then use the copy style tool (option command C) then paste style tool (option command V)

Dec 6, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Fair enough, it's a design decision not a bug. I just find navigating into the menus, especially submenus to need quite a bit of mouse / trackpad dexterity that slows me down (the 'fiddling').

I've found out that I can create keyboard shortcuts within the Mac preferences though, which hopefully means that I can quickly add connectors without having to do lots of menu navigation with the mouse pointer.

Dec 30, 2015 6:59 AM in response to lgama74

YES..it is a bug because it didn't do this before. I did this many times prior to this update and wasn't hallucinating. When you create a new line, it does not adopt the styles of the previous one. So, if you had a line that had specific styles (weight / different endpoints / shadow / color) on that connector line in which you'd like to use on another slide, it used to be that you could copy the connected line and paste onto a new page (now unconnected of course) and then simply drag/connect them to whatever objects you wanted to. It was very convenient over creating a new line and then reconfiguring all the styles.

Now, you must copy both the connector line and it's connected elements. Then disconnect and delete the unwanted objects and then reconnect the line to the new elements.

So yeah, I see it as a bug. The other option is to create a line style but I would still rather copy/paste.

User uploaded file

Faulty Copy Functionality on Connectors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.