Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New suspect folder myHD:Payloads. Is it valid?

Today, after updating Safari 9.0.1, iTunes 12.3.1 and Security2015-004, I found a new folder myHD:Payloads:

myHD:Applications:

myHD:Library:

myHD:Payloads:

myHD:System:

myHD:Users:

What is Payloads?

Is it a valid new OS X folder?

Should I delete it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Safari 8.0.6

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 12:37 PM

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Move the folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Restart and make sure your computer is operating normally. If so, empty the trash. If not, return it to where it was.

15 replies

Oct 22, 2015 12:59 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your answer. I've done what you suggested and I had no problems after moving that folder to trash and rebooting.

The reason I have not marked the question as solved is that I'd like to know where that folder came from.

Something I've not mentioned in my initial question was that I have updated Safari 9.0.1, iTunes 12.3.1 and Security2015-004 on two Yosemite 10.10.5 partitions and that Payloads folder appeared on both volumes. Is that something leftover from a faulty installer script of one of the three upgrades or, was/is my iMac under some nefarious attack. I googled "Payloads" but found nothing relevant.

Oct 22, 2015 2:36 PM in response to manubalde

With all due respect, "throw it in the Trash, restart, and if things are fine, delete" doesn't instill a warm and fuzzy in me. I would think Apple should address the issue with a definitive answer. This type of thing has happened a few times in the past, and it in fact, the folders (not by the same name as this "Payloads" folder) were "leftovers" from an Apple update. Except that in one of the cases, a folder was to be "re-hidden" by the update script and wasn't. In that case, if you threw it in the Trash, you were in deep trouble. Just my two cents.

Oct 23, 2015 1:31 AM in response to credox

Just FYI, I had the same problem having done the same updates and contacted my Apple reseller who then looked into it. He said

I've had a look into the "Security Update 2015-004" update that came out a couple of days ago. The "Payloads" folder does appear to be from this installer, and as far as I can tell, this folder contains a firmware update to four different models of Apple computers.

He was able to to tell me what my computer wasn't one of the models that needed it so I could delete the folder but I'm afraid I don't have a list of the four models that do. Hopefully Apple can make that clear so that people will know whether to delete the folder or not.

(First time poster – never had any useful info to post before but have always appreciated the great help from those that do so nice to have the opportunity to do so … even if I don't have the complete answer!!)

Oct 23, 2015 3:34 AM in response to HectorMann

Many thanks HectorMann,

Your answer pointed to Security2015-004 as the source of the folder and that ruled out some unwanted 3rd party interference.

Since I made a backup image of my main volume before I deleted the Payloads folder, I opened the image and had a look at the content of that folder:

User uploaded file

Your dealer was right. In the EFIPayloads folder there is the list of the four Apple models which need that folder. My iMac is also not among them.

To check a given model go to

About This Mac > Overview > System Report > Hardware Overview > Boot ROM Version

Compare the string found there with the four strings before _LOCKED.scap.

That said, I really wished that Apple would have (a) installed that folder only on the four relevant modes and (b) displayed an info message for the user about that folder.

Oct 23, 2015 4:01 AM in response to credox

Great sleuthing! I'd wondered how my dealer had been able to identify the 4 models and that my model wasn't one so I'd had a look in that folder but didn't know how they'd come up with those particular identifiers for different models. Now I know yet another way to ID the model of my Mac.

Totally agree re: Apple only installing the folder on the relevant models. If they can detect that you need an update based on the system you're running, they should be able to install the relevant files for your model only. Or if that's impossible (don't see how it should be), they should have provided readily accessible info about that Payload folder. It's an unsettling thing to suddenly discover a new unfamiliar folder on your HD! But at least the online community can help in these situations. Couldn't survive without everyone sharing their info so readily – thanks to all that do! Greatly appreciated.

Nov 1, 2015 12:45 PM in response to credox

credox wrote:

Many thanks HectorMann,

Your answer pointed to Security2015-004 as the source of the folder and that ruled out some unwanted 3rd party interference.

Since I made a backup image of my main volume before I deleted the Payloads folder, I opened the image and had a look at the content of that folder:

User uploaded file

Your dealer was right. In the EFIPayloads folder there is the list of the four Apple models which need that folder. My iMac is also not among them.

To check a given model go to

About This Mac > Overview > System Report > Hardware Overview > Boot ROM Version

Compare the string found there with the four strings before _LOCKED.scap.

That said, I really wished that Apple would have (a) installed that folder only on the four relevant modes and (b) displayed an info message for the user about that folder.

Thanks for your helpful reply. However, I'm having trouble locating the string at the exact path you listed:

I get as far as "Hardware" (the word "Overview" is not displayed on my Mac Pro, running Yosemite 10.10.5). But among the many sections within Hardware, displayed alphabetically, there's no section entitled "Boot ROM Version." The first alphabetical sections are:

ATA

Audio

Bluetooth

Camera

Card Reader

(Etc...)

If there were a "Boot ROM Version" section, it would appear after Bluetooth.

To clarify, do you literally see "Boot ROM Version" in the alphabetical list under the heading "Hardware"? Or is it possible that you inadvertently omitted a section or a step? Kindly clarify the exact path to "Boot ROM Version."

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Syncopator

Hi Syncopator

The way I got there was About this Mac -> (and to get to Overview – the tabs are at the top and Overview is pre-selected when that window comes up) clicked on the 'System Report' button (other option is 'Software Update' button. Then when that opens, Hardware is already at the top left and selected. The "Boot ROM Version" isn't UNDER that 'Hardware' topic as a subtopic but in the list on the right when the main hardware topic/title is selected. So ignore 'ATA; Audio; Bluetooth … etc" underneath 'Hardware' on the left and look at the right part of that window where it says: "Hardware Overview" when the main 'Hardware' is selected and then underneath that you should see: 'Model Name; xxxxx: Model Identifier: xxxxx; Processor Name: xxxxxx etc.' 'Boot ROM Version' should be there under 'Memory' (it's not in alphabetical order). Hope that helps.

Dec 3, 2015 9:15 AM in response to credox

I compared the strings to my Boot ROM version, one is not 100% identical, but rather similar. Only the last thee digits are switched:

About This Mac > Overview > System Report > Hardware Overview > Boot ROM version "MBP81.0047.B2A"

Payloads > ... > EFI Payloads > "MBP81_0047_2AB_LOCKED.scap"

Question : is my computer one of those in need of the firmware?

Then how are these firmwares installed?

New suspect folder myHD:Payloads. Is it valid?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.