Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add text to photos in the Photos App on El Capitan

So I was wondering if anyone has managed to find an extensions app to use with Photos (on El Capitan) that will allow the ability to add text onto photos (such as titles, comments, etc). I have seen the App "Be Funky" on the App store, that while it allows Photos extensions, does not explicitly mention that it can add text. I'd appreciate any insights anyone has! Naturally I know of the ability to export photos and then use any 3rd party tools, but I was hoping for somethings inside of Photos to use.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 2:27 AM

I have tried these extensions:

None of them can add text to a photo. They can apply effects or retouch the photos:

User uploaded file

The extensions only offer a small subset of the functionality of the corresponding applications.

5 replies

Oct 24, 2015 2:27 AM in response to CaptainOJ

As léonie mentioned none of the current extensions provide for text over image in Photos; Therefore you'll need a 3rd party image editor that supports layers and do the editing outside of Photos.

Some Image Editors That Support Layers:

Photoshop Elements 11 for Mac - $79

GraphicConverter - $40Rainbow Painter - $30

Affinity Photos- $50

FX Photo Studio - $30

Inpaint - $20
Imagerie - $38
Acorn - $50

Pixelmator - $60

Seashore - Free

GIMP for Mac - Free

User uploaded file

Oct 24, 2015 2:41 AM in response to CaptainOJ

CaptainOJ wrote:

So I was wondering if anyone has managed to find an extensions app to use with Photos (on El Capitan) that will allow the ability to add text onto photos (such as titles, comments, etc). I have seen the App "Be Funky" on the App store, that while it allows Photos extensions, does not explicitly mention that it can add text. I'd appreciate any insights anyone has! Naturally I know of the ability to export photos and then use any 3rd party tools, but I was hoping for somethings inside of Photos to use.

How do you want to use the photos with added text?

If you want to write captions onto them for sharing, you could use the "Markup" tool directly in Mail.

To send a photo by mail with text added, use "Share > Mail", then click the Markup tool. It is hidden in the hidden actions menu in the upper right corner of the inserted photo in the Mail window.

User uploaded file

Then add a textbook wherever you want and format the text:

User uploaded file

How to add text to photos in the Photos App on El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.