Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'The iPhone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes.

I have recently upgraded to the iPhone 5c ..my problem is that now I cant sync to my iTunes on my iMac.

The moment I link the iPhone to the iMac I get:

'The iPhone “Richard's iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes.

Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes.'

…so I follow the link and find that the latest version of iTunes requires OS X version 10.8.5 or later.

My iMac is running version 10.6.8 so I do a software update and it appears that my system is fully updated.

So I cant download the latest iTunes because I cant update my OS software

I have exactly the same problem with my iPad Air

I hope that made sense… can anyone please help?

Devices:

iPhone 5c - Version 9.1

iMac - Version 10.6.8

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular - Version 9.0.2

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz 12Gb ram

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 9:33 AM

7 replies

Sep 7, 2017 12:51 PM in response to Digital Dick

I have the same problem for my newer iPhone 6s. I run 10.8.5 very happily on my desktop system. After my disbelief that this would happen turned into reluctant acceptance, I called Applecare and confirmed that there was absolutely no way around not updating my OS.

I ended up creating a new partition on an external drive and installing Sierra. Then I created a new user for that OS.

My music is stored on another external drive as well. The new partition running Sierra was able to use the same iTunes library as my 10.8.5 system. At least I didn't have to create two parallel music libraries.

So the only way to manage my own music on the iPhone is to log out of my 10.8.5 system, and startup the new partition.

Once an OS is abandoned by Apple, it leaves us in a black hole.

Sep 21, 2017 6:54 PM in response to Mac Webber

Webber,

It is not a consolation, but with the event of all this new technology, All OS's are becoming obsolete very quickly, and

Windows is no different. I like to think of this Computer age as being in it's infancy, as it is, and you know how fast children grow out of their clothes.

I just got a Mac mini and I really like it, though I am brand new to Apple (except for my iPhone 5c), and would appreciate a personal set of suggestions and instructions on how to set up the filing Systems that will be taking up room on my Mac, (and phone). Also the best way of trimming down the data phat on the iPhone. With Windows you can actually create your own virtual cloud space. Can some of the phone files be moved to a different cloud? (Dropbox

or Google Drive?) Sorry to ask for instructions, but I want to do it right.

R Weber

Mar 31, 2016 2:15 PM in response to Limnos

This is extremely bad form on the part of Apple. We should not be forced to upgrade desktop OS's just because they can't stop issuing updates to iOS. i'm stuck with a phone i can't back up -- of course Apple wants me to PAY THEM to use iCloud to make up the difference, or buy an entirely new computer that can run the new OS's i don't even want to use. Shame on you, Apple. You're perfectly capable of producing backwards-compatible software.

Signed,

A customer since 1987 and ready to bail.

'The iPhone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.