Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SSD 850 PRO doesn't work on my 10.6.8 mackbook pro

Hello,

I have a macbook pro 2011 running on 10.6.8.

In order to improve performance on my MB I bought a samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB. I made a bootable USB flash drive with the latest OS X 10.11 El capitan. I connected the SSD to the sata adapter within the MB in the place of the old HD. I connected the USB drive to the mac. then, restarted the MB while holding the option key. Then, it appears only the icon of the installer drive (not of the SSD) and after pressing on the USB drive icon it appears a grey screen with a prohibition sign (see the link http://spider-mac.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Trim-stop.png). what does it means?

I've read and read on the web but i haven't found any solution yet.

Thanks for the help

Giulio

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 11:35 AM

7 replies

Oct 26, 2015 3:42 PM in response to giuliocatt

Hi Giulio,

the newer SSD has to be in HFS + format and with GUID table, to avoid issues in the next steps.

Same thing for the USB key, then you can install El Capitan on the USB key (8 GB at least).

When you're ready to proceed you've to select the USB drive and start the setup; when the OS ask you which drive you want to use simply pickup the SSD drive, and the installation will proceed on this drive, no care of the others disk connected.

Hope to be helpful, best regards

Samsung SSD 850 PRO doesn't work on my 10.6.8 mackbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.