Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro running out of virtual memory

I have a Late 2009 Mac Pro Quad Core with 16GB of Ram. When this thing idles I get a your are our of virtual memory error all the times and the startup disk goes from 800GB free to 4Gb free. What could cause this? I'm on 10.11.1 and have cleared the cookies and cache. This seems to happen when it idles. I have already rebuilt the OS once on a different hard drive.

Mac Pro, OS X Server, 10.11.1

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 12:54 PM

14 replies

Oct 23, 2015 4:18 PM in response to appleexpert1

A

Remove the Sophos product by following the instructions on this page, and also this one, if applicable. If you have a different version, the procedure may be different.

Back up all data before making any changes. Never install any "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software again.

B

If the problem isn't solved, continue.

Launch the Activity Monitor application.

Select All Processes from the View menu, if not already selected, and also select the Disk tab.

Click the heading of the Bytes Read column in the process table to sort the entries by disk usage. You may have to click it twice to get the highest value at the top. What is it, and what is the process? Repeat with the Bytes Written column.

Oct 24, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Allan Eckert

The current threats to your security on Macs require your complicity to get themselves installed. Anything that makes you feel like you are somehow "Protected" is not your friend. You need to be vigilant at all times, because they ARE out to get you.

Sophos is not the tool needed to protect you from current threats -- it just makes your Mac unstable while makes a Big Show scanning for non-threats.

Mac Pro running out of virtual memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.