Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod classic and itunes 12.3.1.23

I have recently upgraded my iTunes to 12.3.1.23 and I am no longer able to sync my library to my Ipod.

ITunes recognises my Ipod classic is connected and I am able to press the sync button but the music never actually goes onto my Ipod.

I have read articles from people with similar issues with previous versions of ITunes and as per the advice mention have tried to downgrade ITunes to an older version. When I try this the install always ends with an error and I am unable to run the program.

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 8

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 2:39 PM

8 replies

Dec 1, 2015 10:07 PM in response to laurao12

The following is a potential partial workaround for this problem.

Note, however, that this method was attempted on MAC OS X, not Windows; therefore, though both versions of iTunes are assumed to be essentially identical in appearance and function, it is possible that this method will not work for WIN users.

Also, be aware that this is NOT a fix for the larger sync problem, but it should allow you to continue adding new music to your iPod Classic.

1) Download and/or import the new music you want to add to your iPod into iTunes.

2) Connect your iPod, and click on the iPod icon when it appears at upper left on the main iTunes screen.

3) Under the "Summary" heading in the sidebar, look for the "Manually Manage Music" option on the Summary page, and make sure the box for that option is ticked.

4) Go to your library, select (highlight) the new items you just imported, and drag/drop them to the iPod icon. Make sure the icon outlines in BLUE before you drop the items.

You should then see that iTunes will begin loading the new items to your iPod.

You should not have to check the "Manually Manage" setting every time you connect your iPod; however, if for some reason the setting doesn't stick, you will know because iTunes will no longer allow you to drag/drop items to the iPod icon. In that case, you would have to go back to the "Summary" section and re-check the setting box. In the case that Apple actually addresses this bug, you will likely have to uncheck the "Manually Manage" setting in order to return to an automatic sync.

Again, this method does not supplant a full automatic sync, but it should allow you to keep adding new music until Apple fixes the problem.

Dec 2, 2015 9:27 AM in response to fantailfan

Hey,

For Windows 10 if you click on update software in the device manager and then browse from your computer. You should get an option to let me pick from existing list of drivers. click this option. All I did was make my computer view it like a mass storage device instead of an apple ipod USB device. This should be an option on the menu. change this setting and then restart your computer. The device should sync if you give it a few minutes. At least it did for me.

Hope that Helps...

Dec 2, 2015 11:47 PM in response to laurao12

One point I would add to the last poster's comments is that, since this is a problem that is occurring with iTunes 12.3.1.23 on both MAC and WIN platforms, it is most likely a bug within 12.3.1.23 that is specific to iPod Classic, as opposed to being an issue with Windows drivers. That is, of course, assuming that everyone here is describing the exact same problem. If any of these suggestions work for you, please report back here and let us know. Otherwise, it's probably something for which we will have to wait for the next version release in order to see a proper fix, if ever.

Dec 4, 2015 1:58 PM in response to laurao12

I own two 7th Generation iPod Classics (160 GB). They were working just fine (and have been for years) until last night! I'm not sure when/how Apple pushed their iTunes update, but it has really fouled things up. I went to sync, and iTunes thought the iPod was new! It then changed my settings. When I tried to untick the settings and sync my Library (my normal practice) it wanted to ERASE the entire iPod and start from scratch! Such a pain! Has anyone else using iTunes for Mac discovered a solution? Thanks!

ipod classic and itunes 12.3.1.23

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.