Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library not importing from time machine backup - 'Nothing to import' message

My iMac was having kernel panics and kept restarting, to cut a long story short a guy at the genius bar wiped my mac and installed El Capitan on my iMac (I was originally running Yosemite). I'm not fully restoring from backup to avoid any further kernel panics due to software, so I am only restoring iTunes and Photos manually by dragging and dropping. I've successfully imported my iTunes library, but the same cannot be said for Photos.

I located the photos library by going through to user>pictures on my time machine backup. However, when I go to import the file named Photos Library (Original), I get the message 'nothing to import'. If anyone could tell me what this means I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Jack

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 3:14 PM

8 replies

Oct 22, 2015 3:31 PM in response to jackp93

You cannot import an iPhoto library to iPhoto, you have to open the library in iPhoto. And for that it needs to be restored from Time Machine.

If you do not want to restore the iPhoto Library to your System drive, restore the iPhoto Library to another external drive.

See: iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

Oct 22, 2015 3:49 PM in response to jackp93

A Photos library cannot be imported to Photos either. You open it in Photos by double clicking it or dragging it onto the Photos icon in the Dock. Or hold down the options key while double-clicking the Photos icon to open. Then select the library from the library chooser panel.

But you cannot open a Photos library as part of a Time Machine backup or on a Time Machine volume. That is not supported. You need to restore the library from Time Machine first. Then openthe restored library in Photos as described above.

You can restore from Time Machine to a different drive.

Oct 22, 2015 3:52 PM in response to léonie

Ah ok thanks, the problem is it won't open in time machine because of the update to my machine, so it doesn't recognise it as the same backup (because now it's not anymore really). is there any way to get around this problem? I still have 90% of the photos on my old Mac, so could probably transfer them somehow if necessary.

Photos library not importing from time machine backup - 'Nothing to import' message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.