Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cracked iPhone screen and internal damage

Hello,

I dropped my iPhone 6 from a couple of feet and it landed on gravel and it hit a stone, so even though I had an OtterBox on it, it got a small crack in the corner. Only a tiny part of the crack was actually on the screen.

I stupidly didn't buy AppleCare+ at the beginning, so I found the price for the screen replacement and took the phone to a local certified Apple repair place (it was listed on the Apple website as a service location, but it's not an Apple Store). They said they don't replace screens at that location, but that I could take it to an Apple Store.

There's no AppleStore near where I live, so I sent it in for repair through their online service and authorized the maximum out-of-warranty replacement amount for my credit card. The phone was working perfectly before I sent it in, and I was fully expecting the screen to be replaced for the $100 or so listed on the website.

They ended up sending me a replacement, and charged my credit card for the maximum amount! I'm very surprised, as the crack was very minor, and mostly off the screen (but nowhere near the front camera or speaker).

When I called Apple Support just now to inquire about it, they said that there is "internal damage" to the phone, which is why they wouldn't just replace the screen.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and rather suspicious. Does dropping iPhones normally cause internal damage, even if it seems to work fine afterwards? Is there any possibility that they could have damaged it while they were repairing it, and simply decided to charge me for that? And lastly, is there any hope in badgering Apple Support further about it, or should I just close the case and accept that the money is lost?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 6:20 PM

acidosis wrote:

Hello,

Does dropping iPhones normally cause internal damage, even if it seems to work fine afterwards?

Absolutely, and I can definitely speak to this from personal experience. The electronics inside the phone are very delicate.

Is there any possibility that they could have damaged it while they were repairing it, and simply decided to charge me for that?

Sure there's a possibility, but very doubtful. Apple has some of the best customer service around. There's no conspiracy here.

acidosis wrote:

And lastly, is there any hope in badgering Apple Support further about it, or should I just close the case and accept that the money is lost?

Do not badger. You've been given a replacement device at a fraction of the cost of buying a brand new phone. Pretty good deal in my book.

Best,

GDG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2015 6:20 PM in response to acidosis

acidosis wrote:

Hello,

Does dropping iPhones normally cause internal damage, even if it seems to work fine afterwards?

Absolutely, and I can definitely speak to this from personal experience. The electronics inside the phone are very delicate.

Is there any possibility that they could have damaged it while they were repairing it, and simply decided to charge me for that?

Sure there's a possibility, but very doubtful. Apple has some of the best customer service around. There's no conspiracy here.

acidosis wrote:

And lastly, is there any hope in badgering Apple Support further about it, or should I just close the case and accept that the money is lost?

Do not badger. You've been given a replacement device at a fraction of the cost of buying a brand new phone. Pretty good deal in my book.

Best,

GDG

Oct 22, 2015 6:32 PM in response to acidosis

acidosis wrote:

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and rather suspicious. Does dropping iPhones normally cause internal damage, even if it seems to work fine afterwards? Is there any possibility that they could have damaged it while they were repairing it, and simply decided to charge me for that?

I dropped an iPad in an Otterbox Defender case. The only damage I did was internal.

Cracked iPhone screen and internal damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.