Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac froze cant boot into anything

My mac book pro frooze so I had to power it down. Now when I turn it on it doesnt boot it goes straight to recovery which wont load either. I would prefer not to reinstall os. I cant boot into safe mode either. Have reset NVRAM.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iMovie 9.4.3.

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 9:18 PM

1 reply

Oct 24, 2015 9:20 AM in response to kiwikieran

Hi kiwikieran,
I understand that you are not able to boot to your data on your MacBook Pro. Let's see if we can find out what is going on and getting you back to working again.
I would start with verify the hard drive in Disk Utility. You can do that in Recovery HD and I have quoted the steps below for that. I have also included and option to do this in single-user mode. Follow those steps and see what the outcome is. If you see any errors, Disk Utility will attempt to repair them and verify that the fixes worked.
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176

Try Disk Utility

Use these steps to use the Disk Utility app to verify or repair a disk.

1. If you're using OS X Lion or later, start the computer from Recovery System or Internet Recovery. If you're using an older version of OS X and your computer came with a Mac OS X Install disc, insert the installation disc and restart the computer while holding the C key instead.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Tip: With Mac OS X v10.6 and earlier, always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.

Use fsck if necessary

The command-line utility fsck can also be used to verify and repair a disk. If you can successfully start up in Safe Mode or use Disk Utility while started up from a disc, you don't need to use fsck. Here are some situations in which fsck may be necessary.

• Your Mac can't be started from the Recovery System or Internet Recovery.
  • Your Mac OS X disc isn't available.
  • Your optical drive isn't available.
  • You can't start with a Safe Boot by holding the Shift key during start up.

Tip: If you use a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) formatted volume, such as with Mac OS X 10.3 or later, you probably don't need to use fsck. If you do use it for any reason, please be aware that benign error messages can appear.

If you're not sure how your volume is formatted and you can't start up from your Mac OS X volume to find out, type the following command in a command-line interface and then press Return:

diskutil info /

If you see "File System: Journaled HFS+" returned, you have a Journaled volume.

To use fsck, you must use it from the command line. Unlike using your pointer to open an application to do something, you'll need to type a text command at the prompt (#) to tell fsck what to do. The Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities) and single-user mode are two examples of command-line interfaces where you can type these kinds of commands. To use fsck:

1. Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.

Note: If your computer is unresponsive, force it to power off by holding down the power button for several seconds. Then press the power button again to start up the computer.
  2. At the command-line prompt type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck finds issues and alters, repairs, or fixes anything, it displays this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).
  3. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type
    reboot
    at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer should now start up normally and allow you to log in.

Let me know what the outcome is and I can assist with some additional troubleshooting options.
Take care

mac froze cant boot into anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.