Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PLEASE help with HomeKit!!!

I seriously hope this will be the last time I have to write this. Especially that i called Apple literally 5-6 times and ALL 5-6 times each rep said, and i Quote, "HomeKit?, Whats that?" Yes, Apple tech support. So heres my dilemma. No matter what i do, i can not access my devices remotely. Believe me when i tell you, I'm not new to automation. I currently have, over 50 HomeKit devices. June 2nd, i rewired my entire house with hardwired Lutron in wall dimmers, plus plug in dimmers, iDevices switches, Elgato weather, ecobee 3, ismartplugs, over 30 phillips hue bulbs and i can't access a single device remotely. And please, PLEASE, realize that i have already done ALL the basics a thousand times.

i am on iOS 9.1, signed into iCloud with keychain and Apple TV 3rd Gen running 7.2, everything on same Network, so I have no idea what it could be. Once Apple support figured out what HomeKit was (lol), they directed me to the developers site to try to find some answers. I haven't yet, but as I'm writing this a few things popped in my head.

First, Apple TV, I have it hard wired to router, would that make a difference? .....well just unplugged it and connected it through wifi, so thats not it. BTW, i have already signed out and back into iCloud on all devices including Apple TV. I just can't figure it out, especially that Lutron, within its own app, DOES work remotely, Ecobee too. I have and use every JHomekit app in the app store, with iDevices being my main go to app due to its most tight knit integration with HomeKit and iCloud.

SO PLEASE, somebody give me some insight on what they think it could be. I have gotten rid of some extremely expensive equipment for HomeKit. As soon as it was announced, I made my decision that HomeKit would be my automation platform. I'm so sorry I did that right now, but the only thing saving me, is that in due time I'm sure it will be all fine. I just cant for the life of me figure out whats going wrong.

Thank you very much in advance for all, responses, advice, and opinions.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 10:20 PM

24 replies

Dec 4, 2017 1:53 PM in response to JuSTBLeSSeD

You may have tried this already. But have you made sure HomeKit can access cellular data. Based on what you described with native apps working but not HomeKit, that would be my guess. Go to settings then cellular and make sure the main switch is on ( most likely is), but then scroll down through all the individual apps requesting cellular date and make sure home kit is switched on. Like I said that’s my best guess.

I’ve never had a remote access problem but for some reason I can’t get geofencing to work at all. Timers all work perefectly as does remote access like just stated. Location set is for HomeKit is on and I’m lettting it use my location. The only thing that seems weird is that HomeKit as well as other Apple native apps only gives my two options for location permition. Never and only while using the app. It doesn’t give a third option of always. Is anyone have a possible solution. Please help

Nov 24, 2015 5:54 PM in response to JuSTBLeSSeD

I'm in the same boat. Not as many devices but its not working anywhere near what was expected. Goodnight is useless.

Saying red is always READ and doesn't then manually typing in the correction is not the desired action. Lot of hype for not a lot of action. Took back my august lock for a Schlage because of home kit. Which I can't get to work. The August lock I could send people electronic keys which was awesome, now I have to use my hands to enter a code in a keypad that a neighbor could be watching me enter....There is no walkup unlock so I have to have either my phone out or enter a code.... kinda lame to not have the walkup geofence feature for $229. But the appeal was HomeKit..... which does not work, and I can't share it with anyone to use siri

Dec 3, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Dan DeRusha

I am suffering remote issues with HomeKit as well. iOS 9.1 on an iPhone 6 and Apple TV 3rd Gen. I had Siri control working for about a day and then it just suddenly stopped, giving me the "Sorry..." message with every command. I have a Hue system, ecobee3 and several iDevices. Everything works great on the LAN. I have reset all devices many times and reset HomeKit several times (not a fun chore with 30+ devices). I have followed the suggestions to re-login, reset keychain, restore the Apple TV... etc. to no avail. I'm inclined to think this is a bug with the Cloud system.

I am open to any suggestions or observations as well...

Dec 3, 2015 9:56 AM in response to JuSTBLeSSeD

Its driving me crazy...I can lock my doors from anywhere but I can only change my lights when I'm at home. I'd like my wife and children to use siri as well....I've sent them invitations, they have accepted, they see it under home kit , they have the applications loaded......and siri does not work at all on their devices. All latest iOS. iPhone 6- me iPhone 5 - wife iPhone 5s - child (i know hers is 64GB) appleTV gen 3 and gen 4. Very maddening when your trying to get others interested in automation, and your trying to show them "how easy" it is and show them the "cool factor" which doesn't work.... besides this support page, does anyone know if there is a place to talk to support about this not working? All apps are updated as iOS on all devices....

Dec 4, 2015 8:13 AM in response to JuSTBLeSSeD

Yeah, I've pretty much resigned to the fact that this is just not working with the current iOS/iCloud versions. It is extremely disappointing because this was one of the primary factors in my choosing to go exclusively with HomeKit devices. I understand it's bleeding edge and bugs need to be worked out... I guess what bugs me the most is that it actually worked for a day! I was sitting at the drive-up at McD's and commanded Siri to turn up the heat and change my lighting... Worked so well!! After being teased like that, it's frustrating to just "accept" that it isn't going to work... 😟

I am using Hue lights, an ecobee3, several iDevices and an Apple TV 3rd Gen. All are configured for remote access, activated through the Web and logged into the same iCloud account. The apps work great over LTE. I think this is because they are using their own links to my LAN. Any app (Eve, Home) that requires HomeKit access is showing the devices as unreachable when on LTE.

Dec 4, 2015 12:37 PM in response to Dirx808

WWow your set up and issues sound exactly as mine. I have 36 Lutron hard wired switches and 10 of their plug in dimmers, the Hue system, Ecobee, 5 of the new smoke detectors,( horrible product as of now- first 2 I bought had defects), 3 iDevices outdoor switches, 6 switches, tthe Schlage door lock, eve weather, and 4 iHome outlets -- and yes - remote access works within manufacturers own app.

YOu our like Home? I was undecided Between Elgato and iDevices, but with iDevices update yesterday, I strictly use there app, and remote access doesn't work.

Dec 5, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Dan DeRusha

Wow... ⚠ OK, I bit the bullet and bought a New Apple TV... and now Siri is working over LTE. 😮

I logged out of both iCloud and iTunes on the 3rd Gen ATV... then killed the power to it. Swapped it out with the New Apple TV. I went through the config and update process, logged in with my iTunes/iCloud account and immediately Siri was working with HomeKit over LTE. I have full control over all my HomeKit devices through Siri commands.

However, devices are not being controlled remotely through the apps such as Eve and Home. They show the last update as the last time the iPhone was connected to WiFi.

This is progress, we'll see how long it holds out... I'm not optimistic with what I've been through... 😟

Dec 8, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Dan DeRusha

Happy to report I have successfully had HomeKit running for several days now. All devices functioning properly, Siri control locally and on LTE. Controlled with an iPhone and two iPads (all iOS 9.1). The New Apple TV seemed to be the final link for Siri over LTE. No issue at all once that was installed. I'm afraid to put the ATV 3rd gen back online. I do not want to break this EXTREMELY delicate configuration.

Let me know if I can help at all or provide any info on my setup. This is really frustrating, it should not be this complicated. I'm afraid these companies are going to miss a lot of holiday business because this is broken... 😟

Dec 9, 2015 5:47 AM in response to JuSTBLeSSeD

I Hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble, but for all who are saying that they got it working over LTE, what exactly did you do? I mean are you home and just shutting off wifi? Cause yes, technically that's working over LTE, but also connected via Bluetooth. for true 'remote' access, we would have to be any place but home. Like try to take a drive a mile away, try to remember the state of each device when you left, now when afar try changing some stuff and when you get home see if it actually worked.

Dec 9, 2015 8:25 AM in response to JuSTBLeSSeD

Dan: what do you mean by not 100%? Is HomeKit functioning properly, just not responding all the time? I had noticed that depending on LAN traffic, Siri commands can eventually get lost and not not go through... I'll usually get them on the second or third attempt if this happens.

Just: not bursting my bubble! 🙂 I know this is a huge frustration for many people (myself included). Once I had LTE working within my home, I drove out to get some junk food... I was able to talk to my ecobee3 and Hue system through Siri in my car (in the drive-up line). I also have been checking temps at home while at work. The last two days I've been trying the "I'm Home" scene when I pull in the driveway, this is firing the appropriate Hue scene and putting the ecobee in Home mode. All appears to be working long-distance for me.

I had read the thread Eric posted and went those procedures. I'm trying to recall the exact procedure I followed to get everything running. I also have Siri working now on two iPads on the LAN, no invites were necessary, they just worked when I signed into iCloud.

PLEASE help with HomeKit!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.