Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac screen gray after sleep with bars on bottom, mouse and keyboard disconnect

Hello,

Ever since upgrading to El Capitan whenever my iMac goes into a sleep for an extended period of time (usually over an hour) when i wake it with the keyboard it shows a gray screen with some sort of countdown bars on the bottom. Also the keyboard and magic mouse have to be turned off then back on to connect. Has anyone had a similar problem. It seems to me that the computer is going into some deep sleep mode of sorts User uploaded file

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 12:51 AM

1 reply

Oct 24, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Chris Brinkley

Hi there Chris Brinkley,

I see that you are experiencing a bit of an issue with your iMac waking from sleep. I have an article for you with some suggestions for addressing this, and it can be found below:

If your Mac doesn't wake when you expect

Your Mac might pause a few seconds before it wakes up. If it doesn't seem to wake at all, check for these possibilities:

• Your screen brightness might be turned down.
  • If you're using an external display, your display might be turned off.
  • Your Mac might be in safe sleep. To wake from safe sleep, press the power button.
  • Check for a sleep indicator light, if applicable, and make sure that your Mac isn't turned off.

If the previous steps don't work

These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue:

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions.
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account.

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

iMac screen gray after sleep with bars on bottom, mouse and keyboard disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.