Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't have permission to export a QuickTime movie ANYWHERE. WHAT?!?!?

El Capitan 10.11.1. OS X Server 5.0.15 installed.

Tried to export 4K iPhone 6s QuickTime to 720p, to my desktop. Export completes, but then errors with "You don't have permission to save file "blah blah blah" in the folder "Desktop". You don't have permission"

Tried a subfolder of Desktop, still nope. Tried any folder in my home folder. NOPE. My external HD? NOPE!!

What the **** is going on here? I can't even repair permissions any more so I'm totally flummoxed. I have no permission issues with other apps. This *****.

Here's a screen shot…

http://imgur.com/dBS50zA

And a screenshot from Console

http://imgur.com/IzDqjrD

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 6:12 AM

10 replies

Oct 23, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Mark Paterson

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Relaunch the application and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Oct 24, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Mark Paterson

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Oct 24, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Linc Davis

Ok, now it appears to work more often than not, where as before I tried your fix it failed every time. However, I did successfully capture a failed attempt…

10/24/15 3:43:05.331 PM com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[1047]: Error in CoreDragRemoveTrackingHandler: -1856

10/24/15 3:43:05.331 PM com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[1047]: Error in CoreDragRemoveReceiveHandler: -1856

10/24/15 3:43:05.340 PM QuickTime Player[975]: [15:43:05.340] VTCompressionSessionSetProperty signalled err=-12900 (kVTPropertyNotSupportedErr) (Unsupported property key (it's not in the SupportedPropertyDictionary)) at /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-1731.15.20 /Sources/VideoToolbox/VTCompressionSession.c line 1883

10/24/15 3:43:10.422 PM QuickTime Player[975]: [15:43:10.422] <<<< Boss >>>> figPlaybackBossPrerollCompleted: unexpected preroll-complete notification

10/24/15 3:43:10.446 PM QuickTime Player[975]: [15:43:10.446] <<<< Boss >>>> figPlaybackBossPrerollCompleted: unexpected preroll-complete notification

10/24/15 3:43:44.968 PM sandboxd[168]: ([975]) QuickTime Player(975) deny file-write-create /Users/mark/Desktop/IMG_5301 720.mov

10/24/15 3:43:49.100 PM collabd[5327]: [main.m:322 73038000 +0ms] Configured to exit after about 360 seconds idle

sandboxd Full Report:

http://pastebin.com/uN0tySna

Oct 24, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Mark Paterson

Back up all data before proceeding.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Oct 24, 2015 6:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

Back up all data.

Run the following command in the same way as before. It moves to the Trash "semaphore" files that have not been cleaned up by the system and may be interfering with normal operation. The files are empty; they contain no data. There will be no output this time.

find L*/{Con*/*/Data/L*/,}Pref* -type f -size 0c -name *.plist.??????? -exec mv {} .Trash/ \; 2>&-

Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash.

I don't have permission to export a QuickTime movie ANYWHERE. WHAT?!?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.