Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes no longer supports Ipad using Vista

I have windows vista using itunes 12.1.3. I had to upgrade to this in order to use the ipad. However when I attach my ipad v9.1, itunes becomes unresponsive and freezes.I am told this morning by your help desk that windows vista is no longer supported. What is going on and why wasn't I informed before the update?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 8:20 AM

28 replies

Oct 23, 2015 8:28 AM in response to foxyhome

If you are using the version of iTunes that is designed for Windows Vista, it should work. I believe there was a little confusion when you spoke to someone at the help desk. And just to let you know, it isn't "our" help desk. This is a user to user support forum. Apple does not participate here in the forum.

Question, when did you update iTunes and install v12.1.3? You may need to install a changed version. Check this download area, you need the iTunes v12.1.3, that is listed for Vista on this Downloads page. Apple - Support - Downloads Make sure you use the one dated September 16, 2015. You need to choose 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on your platform. You may also have to remove the current iTunes from your device. If necessary, follow the instructions here completely, to remove all existing Apple software and then install the new. Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

If you have any additional issues with iTunes and Windows, see this ASC User provided tip document that explains most everything you need to know about iTunes and Windows. Thanks in advance to ASC user turingtest2 for compiling all of this info. Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

Oct 23, 2015 8:33 AM in response to foxyhome

Firstly, this is a users' forum, not Apple, so "your help desk" doesn't apply. The info given to you by Apple's help desk was only partially correct - Vista has not been supported since iTunes 12.2 (with Apple Music, etc.); however, the version you have (12.1.3) was released last month specifically to provide iOS 9 support for Vista and XP users, so should work with your iPad. You may need to completely remove all of iTunes components and then do a clean re-install - see turingtest2's user tip on Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for details.

You should, however, consider either upgrading your PC to a more recent edition of Windows or replacing it by a new one. With Vista rapidly approaching end of life (Microsoft will withdraw all support in April 2017) the likelihood of Apple issuing any further updates specific to Vista (or XP) is pretty low.

Oct 23, 2015 9:03 AM in response to hhgttg27

To clarify, when I said the help desk I meant the Apple help desk I phoned this morning. I realise this a user forum and appreciate your help.

Apple told me that the latest IOS 9.1 will no longer work with Vista so it looks like I will have to fork out for a new computer.

I will try once more a clean reinstall but am not hopeful. I presume v12.1.3 is the same as 12.1.3.6?

Oct 23, 2015 9:21 AM in response to foxyhome

foxyhome wrote:

Apple told me that the latest IOS 9.1 will no longer work with Vista so it looks like I will have to fork out for a new computer.

That statement is incorrect. The link provided will get you the correct version of iTunes that will support Vista. Take a look at the downloads page for additional information, as well as the link provided by both of us for turintest2's information. While it really isn't necessary at this time to purchase a new computer, it would be something I would seriously consider in the near future due to the upcoming discontinuation of support from Microsoft. There have been 4 more editions of Windows since Vista, it is seriously out of date.

Oct 23, 2015 10:24 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well I'm sorry to disagree and think the man from Apple was right.

I have just reinstalled a clean version of Itunes once again and plugged in my Ipad.

Itunes opens and finds the Ipad and a symbol appears along the top. Some of the contents are listed under Devices but they exclude the Summary, Apps and Photos.

As soon as you click on the Ipad icon, Itunes becomes unresponsive and freezes.

I personally think that it is the latest Ipad update [which superseeds the Itunes update] has caused the problem and it is the software on the Ipad that is no longer compatible with Vista.

Your right in saying Vista is seriously out of date and I will now have to upgrade if I wish to continue making full use of the Ipad. But I would have preferred to do this at a time of my choosing not to be shoehorned into it by Apple!

Oct 23, 2015 11:43 AM in response to foxyhome

And did you take the time to view the user tip document that I provided the link for? There are a number of people that have installed the 12.1.3 special that was provided by Apple and it supports the latest iOS. I'm guessing that you got the download from the download link I provided, and you removed the current version of iTunes that you had using the instructions in other link I provided? It will work, and my require a little extra work on your part with the tip document link I provided. No one is forcing you to update your computer, and you will be able to make it work with your current system.

Oct 23, 2015 12:16 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well I'm sorry to disagree and think the man from Apple was right.

I have just reinstalled a clean version of Itunes once again and plugged in my Ipad.

Itunes opens and finds the Ipad and a symbol appears along the top. Some of the contents are listed under Devices but they exclude the Summary, Apps and Photos.

As soon as you click on the Ipad icon, Itunes becomes unresponsive and freezes.

I personally think that it is the latest Ipad update [which superseeds the Itunes update] has caused the problem and it is the software on the Ipad that is no longer compatible with Vista.

Your right in saying Vista is seriously out of date and I will now have to upgrade if I wish to continue making full use of the Ipad. But I would have preferred to do this at a time of my choosing not to be shoehorned into it by Apple!

Oct 23, 2015 12:41 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Gosh you are persistent! i do know how to reinstall itunes but also checked your links so that I didn't miss anything. Unless you know some other hidden tweaks I can assure you it freezes when iPad is connected/clicked on and this is precisely what Apple said would happen.

I cannot add any more unless you wish to divulge what 'extra' work is required!

My sarcastic comments regarding upgrading computers stands and I can assure you I will not be purchasing an Apple!!

thank you for your suggestions, they are appreciated.

Oct 23, 2015 1:06 PM in response to foxyhome

Hi foxyhome, I'm also running Vista, but fortunately I have no Apple gadgets to support. Is your Vista 32-bit or 64-bit? If you check in Problem Reports and Solutions (via Control Panel > System and Maintenance) by clicking View problem history, is there a problem report for iTunes or perhaps Apple Mobile Device Support that corresponds to the exact time when iTunes became unresponsive? (Of course it goes without saying that there will be a "Stopped working" report for every time you exited iTunes, unless maybe you have problem reporting disabled.) If there is, please right-click on it and select View problem details, copy the details to your clipboard and paste them into your next post.

Before buying a Windows 10 PC in the hope that it will better support iTunes, you might want to spend more time looking through recent threads in the iTunes for Windows community. It's astonishing to me how poorly Apple's bloatware supports Windows 10! If Apple devices have become central to your lifestyle, perhaps your next computer should be a Mac?

Oct 26, 2015 11:34 AM in response to foxyhome

I am currently experiencing the same issue.
I have tried reinstalling iTunes, deleting all Apple computer files in the App Data folder, deleting the iTunes Library file and nothing seems to fix the issue. iTunes works perfectly until I try to acess the iPad from iTunes.
I can see the logo, if i unplug the iPad it goes away, if I plug it back the iPad logo comes back on again, but as soon I as click on it, iTunes freezes and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del in otder to unfreeze the computer. This is happening with my iPad Air 2 and nothing else. My iPhone 5s with iOS 9.1 and my iPod Touch 5th gen work perfectly. My iPad Air 2 with iOS 9.1 are the only ones causing that issue. It seems to me that it might be a bug caused by the 9.1 update and that it will not be fixed until there is a 9.1.1 i guess... Please let me know if there is anyone else has a fix please!
Thank you all!

Oct 26, 2015 12:21 PM in response to shark_number1

You need to go to the Apple Support downloads page and select the download for iTunes version 12.1.3 for Windows, either the 32-bit or 64-bit, whichever your computer is and install it. You will need to remove the other version of your iTunes before you do this. This link will give you the information for removing iTunes, and then the second link is the download you need to install the iTunes that supports Vista. After the installation, reboot the computer and connect the iPad. It should connect.

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

Apple - Support - Downloads

Oct 26, 2015 12:31 PM in response to foxyhome

I was not replying to you, so I'm not sure why you are responding to me. The download link I provided is for the special iTunes required to use in Vista to support iOS 9.1. I did not respond to you particularly since you disagreed with my information earlier. It is up to the poster that I responded to to determine what they are going to do.

Itunes no longer supports Ipad using Vista

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.