Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 on iOS 9.1 showing unread emails

Hi everyone,

I've done tons and tons of digging on this, and wanted to see if this is still an issue for some people.

We have our company iPhones connecting to an Exchange 2010 server, and recently i've noticed some users complaining about "phantom" unread mail in their mail app for their exchange accounts.

after doing research on the issue, i found that it was a iOS9 bug. So after speaking to Apple, they said it would be fixed in a future update, and with 9.1 it seems to be only fixed for POP accounts, which our exchange server is not.

The current work around is the same one everyone else has been suggesting, turning off mail, rebooting iPhone, rebooting again. But as you can imagine this is not a workable solution for a business environment.

So i'm wondering if anyone found a fix for this, maybe on the exchange side? although i doubt it's an exchange issue since we haven't made any changes to it in a month or 2. Or if anyone has more confirmation from Apple that this is their issue? Anything at this point would be great

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 10:04 AM

10 replies

Nov 1, 2015 4:01 AM in response to Neadric

Yes, it still exists. all the fixes are only temp. until you receive a new email the unread count remain as is.

it's like a gate open only once. it receives emails and send the notice of read at the same time. so no matter what you read of emails . it will still remain as "unread" until you receive a new email and then it changes.

is this making any sense at all?!

Nov 16, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Neadric

This from Apple support via chat:

Me: OK - when I say known bug I mean known by users but not acknowledged by Apple of course

Jocelyn: I’ve actually found a notice that we are working on it, and that this is a known issue, Jason. I’m looking for details on expected repair times.

Jocelyn: Thank you for your patience.

Me: excellent

Jocelyn: Okay, thanks again for your patience, Jason. I have been able to confirm our engineers are working a fix to come out in the next update. I don’t have an exact time frame for the update, but we are working on it.

Me: OK so days weeks or months?

In the meantime, I do apologize for the inconvenience. I do not anticipate months. We like to have things working smoothly

May 3, 2016 1:16 PM in response to Neadric

Hi all. I simply did a mail sync & it worked fine.

In Settings, tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Tap your e-mail account

Tap Mail Days to Sync

Tap 1 Day, then go back into your mail & see that only mails from 1 day are showing, then try 3 days to make sure 3 days are only showing. Exit/close your mail & revert back to No Limit in the Mail Days to Sync.

I hope this may help.

iPhone 6 on iOS 9.1 showing unread emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.