Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no wifi: No hardware installed

I have a 2009 Mac Pro running Yosemite and under Assist Me in Network the wi-fi option is greyed out. I bought a Hornettek HT-M802n wireless N150 USB adapter and it installs but won't launch the wireless utility or initiate internet sharing. I'm thinking the missing wi-fi option is the culprit. I get the Small X at the top right of my desktop that says, "Wi-Fi:No hardware installed." But I bought the USB wireless as a work around. How do I get Wi-Fi back as an option under Network settings so I can get this USB adapter to work?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

<Image Edited by Host To Remove Personal Information>

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), FCPX 10.2.1-32GB RAM-2xRadeon 5770

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 3:04 PM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2015 5:17 PM in response to tedtv

what IIIIaasss said: . The adapter should show up under system report/USB. You can try launching Airport Utility. Also the chip in it is probably a Realtek/Ralink which requires its own Mac driver. try here for that

http://www.premiertek.net/top/download.html

I suspect the wifi adapter you bought is a rebadged generic one. I've checked the HornetTek website but they don't seem to offer much in the way of support, eg drivers/software. You might have had a cd with the wifi USB adapter when you bought it. You could try emailing them, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Says it's compatible with Mac, Windows etc, but I can't seem to find a manual of any kind

sorry....

JB

Oct 24, 2015 8:49 AM in response to tedtv

Your second screen shot, showing the menubar, shows a faint WiFi-like Icon with the word Ralink next to it in Red. Railink makes the most popular third-party chips and you may have already installed the driver you need. This driver has been around for a long time.

What happens when you click that Icon on the MenuBar?

Long before Mac OS X, when the old Ralink drivers were run, they added a new "ethernet" device to your Hardware configuration, and when you proceeded to set up that mystery 'ethernet', your aftermarket Wi-Fi started to work.

Oct 26, 2015 3:02 PM in response to tedtv

try this...

My Setup: MacBook pro (2015) & OS: El Capitan

Did the OS update for El Capitan and restarted and then my Wi-Fi stopped working and gave the "Wifi: No hardware installed" error.

Here is what they recommended that worked for me:

1) Shut down all applications (except for Finder - leave this open). To do this press Option + Command + Esc at the same time. Then close all apps.

2) Completely shut down your computer

3) While its off, press all of these at the same time Ctrl+option+shift+power and hold this down for a good 5 seconds. Then release at the same time.

4) power on your device normally using the power button. Hope this helps.

Oct 26, 2015 3:14 PM in response to chilelime7

chilelime7--

That is a great procedure for an SMC reset. But it depends on the computer being a MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, with built-in keyboard.

Since this post is about the Mac Pro 2009 42 lb silver tower, there is no built-in keyboard, and that procedure does nothing. It would be better to use the procedure from this article:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

no wifi: No hardware installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.