You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Laser Jet P1102W not working with El Capitan?

After upgrading to El Capitan my HP Laser Jet P1102W stopped working, and am unable to print. I reinstalled the printer driver from apple and I still can't get it to work. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 4:50 AM

10 replies

Mar 4, 2016 9:36 AM in response to Peter Mars

HP specifications claim this printer works with OS X versions 10.4 through 10.11, and it's HP that provides the driver software to Apple that allows OS X to interface with this and most other HP printers, and the documentation and reference manual.

According to the HP documentation, the LaserJet P1102w is wireless or USB. Not wired. The P1606dn is the wired variant of that series printer.

I'd likely use the primitive installation here, as the add-ons aren't something locally preferred. First, determine the IP address for the printer and then use the front panel or the web interface — or whatever this printer uses to set that, as I can't tell from the manuals — to change the IP address to a value within whatever subnet you're using and outside of the DHCP pool and whatever other IP addresses are assigned, and then this sequence:

"OS X basic installation

To install basic print drivers without running the HP full solution software from CD or hp.com download, follow these steps:

1. Connect the printer to the computer or network.

2. From System Preferences, and click Printers and Scanners.

3. Click the plus [+] button on the bottom left, and select P1100 using the driver named either AirPrint or HP Printer."

If you have the most current software installed ( > Software Update) and have confirmed network connectivity to the printer — see if you can access the printer's web interface via Safari — and are having an issue with the printer that's not resolved by removing and re-adding the printer within OS X, you might want to check with the folks at HP.

If you have a particular issue that I've not addressed in the above, I'd suggest starting your own thread here in the communities, and providing a few more details on what is not working, and how the printer is connected. And per the specs, if you have a wired connection to this printer, it does not appear to be a P1102w series printer, but some other model.

Mar 4, 2016 10:34 AM in response to MrHoffman

My mistake... the printer is wireless or USB. I have it connected wirelessly and can add it in the Printers & Scanners preference pain. The problem is that it will not print when added this way. I spoke with a tech person at HP and they said to print a config page from the printer, note the IP address as you mentioned, and then delete and add the printer manually and enter the IP address. Working at the moment. Thank you!!

HP Laser Jet P1102W not working with El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.