Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your iCloud Music Library session has expired

Ever since upgrading to El Capitan, every time I open iTunes I get a "your iCloud Music Library session has expired" dialog window. iCloud is turned off in the System Preferences (all selections are disabled) and every item that remotely could be interpreted as an iCloud function in iTunes preferences is disabled. Yet, I continue to get the session expired dialog window (some times even twice). Any way to disable the dialog box?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2017 2:15 PM

Thanks Eriethman:

"I fixed my problem by signing out of iTunes, closing iTunes, opening iTunes, and then logging back in."

This did the trick. I have been futzing with this on and off for a couple of weeks. Your suggestion seems to have fixed it.

Thanks.

30 replies

Oct 26, 2015 11:56 PM in response to ninjapig

Yes and when I shutdown followed by a startup, the session expired message returned. I think that the problem is that I listen to music during every computer session and shut down the computer after each session with the option that every open window at shutdown is reopened at startup. iTunes is one such window; thus, the session is declared expired with each shut down. Since iTunes automatically reopens at start up and I am still in logged in, iTunes tells me that the session has expired since iTunes did not log me out at shutdown and automatically log me back in at startup. The same thing does not occur if iTunes is closed and reopened while logged in without a shutdown, so it has something to do with the shutdown and startup. I have not tried closing iTunes, shutting down, starting up, and reopen iTunes while logged in to see if something is saved at manual closing before the shutdown that is not saved in the automatic closing, then opening during shutdown.

Oct 31, 2015 6:23 PM in response to ninjapig

I am glad you mentioned the expired Apple Music idea. I had a trial subscription and let it run out. Now that I think of the timing of the repeated "Your iCloud Music Library session has expired" messages, they started around the time that subscription ran out.

I signed out of iTunes, then signed back in, and now I have no more "iCloud...expired" messages.

My situation - I have not updated to El Capitan. I made no changes that I can relate to the appearance of the messages, except perhaps the expired Apple Music account.

Thanks for your help.

Nov 12, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Frank J. R. Hanstick

Nope, I disagree. For me, I don't shutdown the computer, only iTunes, and upon a restart daily, I get the lovely "Your iCloud Music Library session has expired" message asking me again to enter my password. I run iTunes inside my secure Mac OS X user account. Why on earth do I need to keep entering my password. I've left feedback twice at www.apple.com/feedback/itunes. My trial period ends in a few days. I WILL NOT join Apple Music unless this gets changed.

Oct 27, 2015 10:33 AM in response to ninjapig

I did several more sequences. I logged into iTunes, closed iTunes, selected Restart, and opened iTunes with no session expired message. I repeated the sequence replacing Restart with Shutdown followed by a power switch Startup agains not encountering a session expired message. I did a Restart with iTunes open and did not encounter a session expired message. It is only when I do the Shutdown followed by a power switch Startup while iTunes is open that the session expired message appears. Apparently, the problem is isolated to only Shutdown and power switch Startup.

Nov 4, 2015 2:51 AM in response to Eriethman

I think my problem stems from when Apple changed from non-email id's to email id's and the music purchased under the old id did not get updated properly before Apple deleted the old id and password leaving me with no way to confirm the purchase. I have had problems related to that music for a while now that has manifested in many different ways. This may just be another manifestation of that problem.

Nov 13, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Eriethman

I tried everything mentioned in this post. Stems from my update to the new El Capitan on November 9th, 10.11.1. iTunes kept trying to sync with iCloud (no error message just this, see screen shot).

User uploaded file

I signed out of my iTunes account, restarted iTunes and logged back in. I got the message that the Apple Music session has expired.

User uploaded file

I bit the bullet and subscribed to Apple Music, and immediately after the session started everything synced up, and no error message. Viola, go figure, $9.99/month...

Your iCloud Music Library session has expired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.