Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.3.1 Memory Hogging

After issues with Mail it now seems that iTunes 12.3.1 is causing me big problems with the "Beachball" ! I have big library and iTunes Match as well as Apple Music but using 3.0GB of memory and rising my iTunes has clearly gone wrong.

It is practically unusable can anyone pinpoint the problem ? I am sure it is something similar to the mail indexing issues.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11), iTunes 12.3.1

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 3:46 AM

3 replies

Oct 27, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Timmybur

I'm with you. "Practically unusable" describes my experience since the "update" to iTunes 12.3.1.

Although, if I recall correctly, that was at the same time as the OS X 11.1 update, so perhaps the root of the problem lies there.

Either way, iTunes is a beachbally, laggy mess for me right now. I've reported this on Apple feedback.

Oct 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to EastDog

This is not an immediately helpful response, but after four days looking for solutions and trying things out, I've got iTunes to function again, slowly but much better than when I did the update. I'm preparing a post on the steps I've taken which I hope to put up after work tomorrow and after some final checks. In the meantime, it's become evident that while that blasted beachball is spinning, iTunes is partially sorting out its own mess, so if you can spare the memory and be patient as we wait for Apple to get it right, let it spin...

I'm also sure there's more than one problem to pinpoint!😮

iTunes 12.3.1 Memory Hogging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.