Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MobileDeviceHelper Has Stopped Working (Win7x64 / iTunes v12.3.1)

Guys, I have this issue everytime I'm using iTunes with my iPhones connected. I keep having the "MobileDeviceHelper Has Stopped Working" error. Now I can't backup my phones to my computer at all! The additional information that comes with the error are as follows:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe

Application Version: 17.948.0.11

Application Timestamp: 54dd6d0d

Fault Module Name: CoreFoundation.dll

Fault Module Version: 1.750.32.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 55e700ee

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0009f63a

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 18441

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I've tried the following to no avail:

- Reinstalling iTunes (initially I was on iTunes v12.3

- Upgrading iTunes to v12.3.1 the moment its released

- Do a clean uninstall & then reinstall of iTunes

- Disable my antivirus (Avast Free)

- Run as Administrator privilage

Any other suggestions, please?!

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 5:43 AM

10 replies

Nov 16, 2015 9:37 AM in response to ToileTmaster

I have the exact same error. Started at the end of September after I updated iTunes. I have done all of the above, plus running mobile device helper in compatibility mode to no avail. Resorted to wiping my computer and doing a clean install of Windows 7, Norton AV and iTunes v12.3.1 ONLY. Updated all drivers and DLL's. Did not load any other software that was present before or restore my data backup. After moving my iTunes library over as per Apple instructions, I still get this error. So much for getting the new iPhone 6S I really want, since I can't restore a back up of my current phone to it.

Nov 16, 2015 9:54 AM in response to ToileTmaster

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

tt2

Nov 27, 2015 1:43 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I had tried most of these fixes already (google showed most of them). I finally gave up, formatting the laptop hard drive, restored from factory settings partition (its a Sony Vaio), then just patched Windows with all current updates, then updated all Sony hardware drivers, then installed Norton Internet Security, then iTunes.

Same problem. Any attempt to use an Apple Mobile Device while in iTunes causes the 'MobileDeviceHelper.exe has stopped working' error. Windows doesn't have a problem I can access all three of my Apple mobile devices (iPad 3, iPhone 6, and iPad 6) in Windows explorer but if I plug them up while iTunes is open, MobileDeviceHelper launches an it crashes. Oddly, I can usually finish a backup in iTunes anyway, but I can't Synch or Restore.

Any suggestions?

May 19, 2016 10:09 PM in response to adddl

I have the same problem and have gone thru all the steps listed in this thread (except reformatting the hard drive). Now on iTunes 12.4 and the problem persists. Oddly enough, the iPad or iPhone remains linked to iTunes and will sync/backup if I just ignore the message and continue in iTunes.

I guess this is just another symptom of the disarray in the iTunes development team. It seems like they should be abler to eliminate this problem.

if I seem bitter, it is because I am. Just get the problem fixed, or get a new set of developers. I don't care which.

MobileDeviceHelper Has Stopped Working (Win7x64 / iTunes v12.3.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.