Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram upgrade Macbook 5,2 early 2009 detecting only half of each slot of memory

Hi everyone,

I have recently bought a pair of 4GB DDR2 PC-6400 sticks to upgrade my Macbook. They are 2x4GB DDR2 800MHz.

I have seen a lot of people telling this kind of memory (800Mhz) works with this model, although it is stated to work with 667MHz.

The point is: I have already installed them, they seem to work correctly in "About my Mac" excepting one little thing...Onlye 2GB each are recognized!

So I have no errors, my Macbook recognizes 2 slots being used at 800MHz, but with half of their capacity.

I have tried almost everything:

Plugging in just one stick (detects 2GB@800MHz). Mixing them with my old 667Mhz (detects 2GB from de 4GB one at 800MHz and 2GB from the 2GB one at 667MHz, overall frequency 667MHz. Everything works fine if I put again my olds 2x2GB @667MHz, so it has nothing to do with the slot.

Resetting NVRAM, SMC

Memtests: al appear to be fine but half of the capacity (no errors stated).

Reinstalling a partition from scratch in Mountain Lion.

This is just the way it is? The 800MHz are like "cutting" the RAM capacity in half?

Thanks in advance

MacBook (13-inch Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Also tried to El Capitan

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 1:24 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm glad to share that finally, I managed to install successfully 8GB @ 800MHz RAM in my Macbook 5,2 Early 2009 (2x4GB Hynix models).

I'll be testing from now, specially the 6 to 8GB issue stated in Macsales, but everything seems to work smooth now and I definitely feel the upgrade working with heavy-duty RAM programs like Photoshop. Apparently, nothing weird happened when I start using that range of memory, but I need to do more tests.

Special thanks to all the kind people that helped me without arrogance, with true support and good advices.

Oh, wait, nobody here.

I hope this helps someone else.

Cheers!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Tatel

Hi everybody,

I'm glad to share that finally, I managed to install successfully 8GB @ 800MHz RAM in my Macbook 5,2 Early 2009 (2x4GB Hynix models).

I'll be testing from now, specially the 6 to 8GB issue stated in Macsales, but everything seems to work smooth now and I definitely feel the upgrade working with heavy-duty RAM programs like Photoshop. Apparently, nothing weird happened when I start using that range of memory, but I need to do more tests.

Special thanks to all the kind people that helped me without arrogance, with true support and good advices.

Oh, wait, nobody here.

I hope this helps someone else.

Cheers!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2015 1:11 PM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer. But I kind of disagree...

First, you can fin here in Apple Forums more people working flawlessly with 8GB @800Mhz (any case, I tried with one stick at a time with same result)

Secondly, I think my MB should drop some kind of error, not just recognizing half of the RAM at a correct frequency.

But, above all, I have just tried a different brand stick, same specs (4GB, PC2-6400, 800MHz) and...it works.

Flawless. 4GB @ 800MHz. And I can combine with my old one at it will display 6GB @ 667MHz. So, perfect.

Can anybody explain that?
Model not working:

User uploaded file

Model Working:

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2015 5:39 PM in response to Tatel

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-white -13-early-2009-nvidia-specs.html

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB memory module.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

MacBook5,2 **2.0GHz Model Only** Install/uses up to 6.0GB total memory

You're the doctor, believe what you will.

Oct 27, 2015 1:30 AM in response to stedman1

OK, thank you both. I'd really appreciate if you read my posts before answering. Really.
Stedman1: I am just testing things here, I know my MB specs.

Mike: thanks for the links, I had already read it.

So, instead of focusing on how bad I am doing things, has any of you any idea of:

1) Why my supposed-not-capabale MB is recognizing 800MHz and booting and working fine?

2) Why the Kingston sticks aren't working properly and the Hynix ones are? (tested under same conditions).

Thank you

Oct 27, 2015 4:03 AM in response to SeaPapp

So I'm the one not listening...OK.
1) I have already told that on my last test, mixing 667MHz and 800MHz sticks resulted the expected way for me: a total memory of 6GB operating at 667MHz.

And, I'm telling you again; I've tried separately the 4GB @ 800MHz sticks and they were recognized properly at 800Mhz.

Oh, and BTW...all the tools I used to check that memory stated the same, included AHT (not only System Profile inside the OS).

Here there are Nvidia chipset specs. Interesting it works at 800Mhz, isn't it?

2) Nice to get some new info from you. I have been using Kingston for years without a problem, maybe just lucky.

P.S. Just in case you (or someone else) wanna read more testimonials of people having success...Here and here

Ram upgrade Macbook 5,2 early 2009 detecting only half of each slot of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.