Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook won't start after restore

Two days ago my macbook install something automatically and ask for a restart, I allow it to restart after I backup to my TC. However when it restart it got stuck halfway with the apple logo and progress bar. I wait for an hour then hard shutdown it, restart, and same thing happen. in my panick I try disk utility with all the option until I erase my hard drive reinstall OS X. When it booted back, i didn't let it restore from the TC. Anyway, I struggle a bit with another hang after set up. When I realised that my apps is not coming with it, I then go back to the disk utility to restore it back. Now it done restoring, but it won't start up again. This time it's even worse with the black screen with apple logo and blank progress bar. I try many things I found on the net, but it seems like it doesn't work with my MacBook. Please help.

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 8:25 AM

11 replies

Oct 25, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Linc Davis

Dear, Davis

I cannot enter via safe mode as well. I can only command+R. The screen I sent you is when I command+S but the prompt won't allow me to type anything. Last night I am so frustrate that I reinstall OS X and restore my stuff back from TC, which solve it. But, when I restart later this evening, the same thing happen again. It really is my fault that I didn't check if someone respond to my answer or not. I should have check.. ><

Do you think I have to redo those process again? To be able to install the SyncMate Uninstaller? Please enlighten me.

Oct 25, 2015 8:34 AM in response to sirimash

This is a time-saving procedure, but it's very advanced. If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't attempt it. Ask for a simpler procedure that will take much longer.

1. If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance. Don't skip this step.

2. Disconnect all external storage devices.

3. To simplify these instructions, I'll assume that there is only one installation of OS X on the startup drive. If there's more than one, the procedure may need to be modified.

4. Start up in Recovery mode. The OS X Utilities screen will appear.

5. This step is only necessary if you use FileVault 2. If you don't know what FileVault is, you're not using it. Go to the next step. Otherwise, launch Disk Utility, then select the icon of the FileVault volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main screen.

6. Select Get Help Online. Safari will launch. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your bookmarks, but you won't need them. Load this web page.

7. Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

ls -d /V*/*/S*/*/Extensions/Eltima*

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

8. Quit Safari. From the menu bar, select

Utilities Terminal

The Terminal application will launch. Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V.

A new line should appear below what you entered, ending in something like "EltimaSync.kext". If that happens, enter this command in the same way as the last one:

mv $_ $_/../../../../tmp/

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear. Quit Terminal to be returned to the main screen.

9. Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Oct 25, 2015 10:02 AM in response to sirimash

If you want to preserve the data on the startup drive, and it's not already backed up, you must try to back up now, before you do anything else. It may or may not be possible. If you don't care about the data, you can skip this step.

There are several ways to back up a Mac that is not fully functional. You need an external hard drive or other storage device to hold the data.

1. Start up from the Recovery partition, from Internet Recovery, or from a local Time Machine backup volume (option key at startup.) Launch Disk Utility and follow the instructions in this support article, under “Instructions for backing up to an external hard disk via Disk Utility.” The article refers to starting up from a DVD, but the procedure in Recovery mode is the same. You don't need a DVD if you're running OS X 10.7 or later.

If you use FileVault 2, then you must first unlock the startup volume. Select its icon ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another disk icon, usually with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar. Enter your login password when prompted.

2. If Method 1 fails because of disk errors, then you may be able to salvage some of your files by copying them in the Finder. If you already have an external drive with OS X installed, start up from it. Otherwise, if you have Internet access, follow the instructions on this page to prepare the external drive and install OS X on it. You'll use the Recovery installer, rather than downloading it from the App Store.

3. If you have access to a working Mac, and both it and the non-working Mac have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports, start the non-working Mac in target disk mode. A Retina MacBook (from 2015 or later) with a USB-C port can also be started in target disk mode and connected to another Mac using a USB cable and an adapter.

Use the working Mac to copy the data to another drive.

This technique won't work with USB (except on a Retina MacBook), Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth. Note that a Retina MacBook Pro (with Thunderbolt) is different from a Retina MacBook, and it can't be connected to another Mac via USB in target disk mode.

4. If the internal drive of the non-working Mac is user-replaceable, remove it and mount it in an external enclosure or drive dock. Use another Mac to copy the data.

MacBook won't start after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.