Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 2 not scrolling

I purchased a new Macbook Pro w/ retina and also a Magic Mouse 2. The mouse will not scroll up & down and for that matter left or right. I have OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 Everything is brand new purchased from Apple.

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 10:30 AM

22 replies

May 4, 2017 9:38 AM in response to william g.fromclearwater

My issue is more analog; that is, only the far right region of the Mouse scrolls. Anywhere in the middle and finger scrolling doesn't work. I pulled out my Magic Mouse 1 and it works just fine, so it's strange that a small portion of the Magic Mouse 2's touch area would fail.

Taking it to the Apple Store and try for an exchange. I've nothing to lose.

Dec 3, 2015 7:05 PM in response to william g.fromclearwater

I've been using the New Magic Mouse 2 for a few weeks now, and I have El Capitan installed on my computer, but I started to get similar issues this week, i.e. the scroll function is not working properly, and it's like you have oil on your fingers and your movements are not picked up by the mouse.

I've been using the original Magic Mouse for years, and I have never ever encountered any scroll issues.

Dec 7, 2015 5:20 AM in response to seventy one

Hello,

It is Apple's fault that a brand new computer and mouse both from Apple Store do not work with each other out of the box. We are talking about a mouse here (and especially its scrolling feature), not something extravagant or particularly advanced. Also I am living in China and it takes time to download and upgrade to El Capitan. At least they could have included that new driver in the latest update of Yosemite.

Best regards,

Pierre

Dec 7, 2015 5:40 AM in response to pierrefromshanghai

I disagree; The new computer may have been previously ordered stock and seems to have had Yosemite installed ... which is why the MM2 mouse is not working. However, it is up to you to upgrade it with the Free El Capitan OS. The stock problem it is not something over which we here have any influence so you should report your feelings to Apple Product Feedback.

You could consider asking your supplier for one of the orignal MM1 mice.

Dec 27, 2015 9:01 PM in response to desmoquattro

Let me say this. I finally replaced my original "magic mouse" with the new mouse as I had nothing but trouble from the original from the get go, I labored on of years because I guess I am a moron. However on installation I like you, find this new mouse to be inn-operable because I have not upgraded to El Capitan. What utter ********. Enough. Tomorrow I will return this piece of crap and buy a Logitech. How dare Apple use the devise that actually made Apple, Apple, to force us to upgrade. (I would and will when in plays nicely with my tools of trade but right now it does not). The stench in here is nauseating.

Jan 15, 2016 11:51 AM in response to seventy one

I disagree.

Been in the desktop/server/network support business since 1987.

It IS ridiculous that Apple requires 10.11 for the new mouse. I am onsite at a client's location and have been chasing down weird bluetooth issues on an older iMac and just discovered that the otherwise perfectly functional MM2 I just put in place can't scroll precisely for this reason.

While it is true that a machine running OS 10.10 really has no good reason to NOT migrate to 10.11, insulting other members isn't ok.

Give me a GOOD technical reason that there is some component of the MM2 that is fundamentally incompatible with 10.10 or previous OS, and I'll change my opinion.

A mouse is a mouse. A failed $20 peripheral (which is the commodity price for a mouse, despite Apple's premium pricing) should not require an OS upgrade.

With the underlying hardware technologies fundamentally unchanged in a few years, this is an arbitrary choice on Apple's part and it is a mistake. We have lots of customers using 2009-2012 Macs and many/most are on 10.9 or 10.10 and have no reason to migrate to 10.11.

Jan 29, 2016 11:12 AM in response to cptomes

To chime in..

I am in complete agreement with cptomes.

Forcing users to upgrade to a later SW release in order to use a peripheral is quite frankly a little silly.

If there is a solid, sound reason why the drivers/functionality cannot be backported, i am all ears.

I noted that elsewhere in this thread there was a statement that it was clearly (and i do emphasise this word) stated on the box that 10.11 is a requirement.

It is indeed noted, but i must say that grey on white in very small lettering is hardly clear.

A further addition i would add is that in my case i purchased the mouse out of frustration , missing the left right scrolling ability of the solution provided by my IT department, the only available mouse in the 'mac area' of the store was MM2 , so it's not like i was given a choice or warned of the 10.11 requirement.

Like others here , i am not able at this point to upgrade to 10.11 (if i wish to have a supported system for work).

Looking forward very much to a solution (other than putting myself in an unsupportable configuration) from Apple on this.

Mar 7, 2016 5:46 PM in response to william g.fromclearwater

It scrolls just fine with Chrome. In fact, I copied all the open websites I going on Safari at the time, all inhibited by the Magic Mouse 2, popped them into Chrome, viola! Scrolling restored. I have noticed with progressive upgrades of OS X, Chrome is superior for Amazon movies/tv show viewing, very superior for Netflix, and I think I am just going to designate Chrome (and I also did the binge viewing test with FireFox) as the primary internet interface.

Magic Mouse 2 not scrolling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.