Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external Toshiba hard drive not recognized after upgrade to El Capitan. dismount and unmount did not help.

External Toshiba hard drive not recognized after upgrade to El Capitan. Disk utility mount and unmount did not help. I have a MacBook Air 1.6 GHz intel Core i5 processor, 4GB Memory.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 1:08 PM

10 replies

Jan 18, 2017 3:10 PM in response to chuckp333

I have a solution - after spending 30+minutes on phone with Apple support to get to "not our hard drive, not our problem, call Toshiba" If only they'd told me this:

Call Toshiba at 855.800.4686

Was told I needed to update driver for mac, which is called tuxera

Gave me this link to download it: kb.toshiba.com/4008404

Worked right away! I don't expect Apple to fix the problem, but if they'd just said "you need to update tuxera, call Toshiba" instead of wasting time, that would have been true support!

Jan 18, 2017 4:51 PM in response to CLABEL

It worked previously because you were running a third party app, tuxera, in Yosemite. When you upgraded to El Capitan or Sierra the version of Tuxera you were running was no longer compatible. It is not Apple's responsibility to support Tuxera, NTFS, Toshiba, or any other third party app/product you install. If you do not want this problem to re-occur the next time you update your OS, format your external drive for OSX rather than using a Windows format.

Nov 12, 2015 7:03 AM in response to chuckp333

Hi, there is a workaround.

Assumes the following:-

1. Toshiba External HDD is Mac specific (HFS+ file system)

2. Password has been enabled.

http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?contentId=4008402

Issue

Due to an unforeseen capability issue with Apple’s OS X El Capitan, the Password Software is not compatible and cannot access your Password. Toshiba engineering is working on this issue with Apple. The current workaround is to disable your password software with an older OS X version or gain access via a Window’s PC.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask that you check back until the issue is resolved.

Resolution

If you are using Mac OS X "El Capitan", follow the steps below to disable the HDD password.

NOTE: You will need the following items:

1. Windows PC
  2. HDD Password Tool for Windows

Procedure

1. Download the HDD Password Tool for Windows found under the Drivers and Updates tab or use this link to access it.
  2. Install the HDD Password Tool for Windows on a Windows PC
  3. After completing the HDD Password Tool install, connect external HDD ( in Mac HFS+ format ) to the Windows PC.
  4. Launch the HDD Password Tool. If the HDD Password Tool launches automatically, quit the application and launch it manually.
  5. The HDD Password Tool will require you to enter the HDD password. Enter the password.
  6. After entering the HDD password, the HDD will be unlocked.
  7. You will be required to enter the password again to remove the password. The "Remove passwor protection" option should be selected. Entering your password will remove the password protection.
  8. A dialog box will be displayed asking if you want to remove the password. Click "Yes"
  9. A dialog box will be displayed confirming the password has been removed.
  10. Close the HDD Password Tool.
  11. Now that the password is disabled, you can use the HDD on the Mac OS X.

Jul 19, 2016 3:51 PM in response to Meñique

The problem is likely due to the fact that your external drive may be formatted NTFS for Windows. You likely also installed a third party app such as Paragon which allowed you to read/write to the NTFS drive. When you upgraded to El Capitan you probably did not upgrade your third party app that allowed you to use the drive. Upgrade Paragon, or other third party app to make it compatible with El Capitan.

Better yet, format your external drive for OSX and uninstall the third party app from your computer. Be aware that when you format you will lose all data on the drive.

external Toshiba hard drive not recognized after upgrade to El Capitan. dismount and unmount did not help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.